IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing alot of posts where fisherman's rigs are being broken into @ the docks. Let me make a few suggestions:

Don't leave ANYTHING of value in your vehicle.

Open the glove box so the contents are exposed.

Lock you trailer hitch.

I leave my doors unlocked. Let them go through my Jeep better than a smashed window.

BE VIGILIANT ... if you see something or someone out of the "NORM" or you get that "GUT" feeling .. take note. write down license plate numbers & descriptions of persons. If you come back and nothing is wrong .. no harm no foul !

Park in well lit / populated areas if your going to be gone over night.

Report the activity to local Law Enforcement!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I am with bluepig on this one.

Do anything to you can to make it more difficult for the crook to take your property. Lock it, chain it, alarm it, or dont leave it where it can fall victim to a crook.

Crooks are lazy, it you make it hard for them, they will go elsewhere.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I used to work in downtown seattle at night. After having my $100.00 window broken for the third time so that a bum could steal about 30 pennies from my car. I started putting everything in the trunk where it couldnt be seen. Nothing insight to entice them to get into it. I left the doors unlocked. I also installed a kill switch for the motor that was hidden so the car couldnt be hot wired. Thank god I am not working their anymore.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
trunk works good, but if a crook is casing the lot, and he sees you put it in the truck, say bye-bye to the stuff. Happend to me, it bites! I like the unlocked door idea, a broken window cost almost always comes out of your own pocket!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
When I was at UW in Seattle I drove an old beater pickup...had rebuilt motor, all new running gear, brakes, etc. but was pretty rough looking on the outside. Parked in the open in the alley behind my dumpy apt. in the U District and I never locked it even though I sometimes left fishing gear, etc. hidden behind the seat. As far as I could tell, no thieves ever looked behind the seat...or even went thru the jockeybox. I figured they would take one look at "The Beast" and move on to more promising places to finance their heroin habits.

·
Registered
92 Posts
good advice bluepig and K9jeff...........also take your truck keys with you and don't hide it on your car.

while, my family and I were launching our boat on Douglas bar (snohomish county). I watched a guy who is alway there with his boat. beach the boat, walk to his truck, retreive the truck keys from behind the rear wheel well and proceeded back down the launch to retrieve his boat.

make it hard for crooks to steal from you......

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Every year the posts crank up where people lost a few rods and reels out of the back of their truck that they had parked at a popular parking area for fishing. Personally I don't have a heck of a lot of equipment to haul around, but even if I did I now know better than to leave anything in my truck that I would miss if someone stole it. Many years ago I had my car stereo stripped from my car, and that stung.

If you leave your car in these areas, it's not a matter of if you will get hit. It's a matter of WHEN. Don't make it easy for them.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have lived in Portland now for 7 years and parked at the Economy Lot at the Airport every week for 5 years prior to that. I've been broken into once by a couple of kids who were randomly smash and grabbing in N Portland (Over 50 of them). I don't have an alarm and don't remove the faceplate from my stereo. EVERYONE I know who has an alarm or religiously removes the stereo faceplate has been broken into, several have had it happen multiple times.

The lesson I take from this - don't give visual clues that there is something in the vehicle worth protecting because the correllary is that there is something worth stealing in the vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts