IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Lowarance LMS-520C Sonar/GPS Chartplotter Combo. I'm thinking about adding radar to my boat, any suggestions on a nice radar only unit? Cost is a factor also.
Thanks,
Garv

· Registered
2,104 Posts
your better off posting this in the saltydog forum. this question has been beaten to death over there.

strength, angle you should have it at, height vs. distance, want it to overlay on your GPS, ect. ect.

they work great in the ocean. we run quite a bit at night. we dont run an overlay as the gps breadcrumbs work better for navagation. mostly use it to track other traffic in fog and or dark and to look at bouys and shorelines to double check our posistion.
one thing to keep in mind a radar is finite, they will burn out with use, kinda like A.C. in a car, no set hours it just happens.

and you dont need a tower!, a pole will work great, ours is mounted just on top of the hardtop, about 9' above the waterline.

hope that helps!

Jack

· Registered
516 Posts
Keep in mind that the higher power radomes won't so much give you better range (that's a factor of height as well as radiated power); but, the higher KW will give you better resolution.

Also, the reality of radar is that the biggest use of radar is in the 1/4 to 2 mile ranges for coastal nav and collision avoidance.

Any radar is better than none- and learning how to operate it and discern the return is critical to its use as a tool.

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.