IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
8/22/07 ACTION NOTICE: NOAA Fisheries in consultation with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, the Pacific Fishery Management Council, and recreational fishing interests, has taken in-season action to close the recreational salmon fishery between Leadbetter Point, Washington and Cape Falcon, Oregon effective Saturday, August 25 at 11:59 PM.

ACTION TAKEN: Effective Saturday, August 25, at 11:59 PM, the recreational ocean salmon fishery between Leadbetter Point, Washington and Cape Falcon, Oregon will close to all salmon fishing.

RATIONALE: The recreational fishery in the Columbia River Ocean Management Area (Leadbetter Point to Cape Falcon) is forecast to have less than a day of fishing remaining on the coho quota for that area at the end of fishing on Friday, August 24. A transfer of coho from the Westport Ocean Management Area to the Columbia River Ocean Management Area will allow enough coho for fishing to continue through Saturday night.

Refer to www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/salmon/ for more details.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How far south is Cape Falcon? Humbug Mountian? Synopsis is not handy at this moment nothing on ODFW.
Jim

·
Registered
803 Posts
jimfishkHow far south is Cape Falcon? Humbug Mountian? Synopsis is not handy at this moment nothing on ODFW.
Jim
Just north of Nehalem.

This isn't a big surprise based on the success...

Can't wait for another week... Then it is my turn.:crazy:

LS

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
Doesn't make a lot of sense to close the ocean now that the silvers have gotten bigger and better than the dinks that we were wasting our quota on at the end of June.
We should be fishing the ocean to mid-September, even if we start later into July or go back to five days per week.
Anyone know why they went to a seven day per week season rather than the five days as has been customary for the past several years?

It will be interesting to watch the clustergaggle at Buoy 10 when the Charters and other big boys come inside next week and join the mix of smaller boats trying to crowd onto the hot spots. Hope everyone is wearing flotation.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,159 Posts
Yes. Kings are chinook salmon. All salmon is closed in the ocean between Leadbetter Point, Washington and Cape Falcon, Oregon.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I am not familiar with those locations....Does this include the CR bouy at the mouth of the CR...????:pray:....please no!!!

·
Premium Member
22,117 Posts
It is ESPECIALLY the CR buoy, where all the action's been...sorry about that. A week or so of strong tides will bring some of them into the buoy.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Thanks Bill M. :frown:...I had a trip planned monday....OH WELL.....I guess I will put my true fishing skills to work on the river....:cheers:

·
Registered
599 Posts
They went to seven days a week so the working family man can go down for the weekend and fish. Other wise, tourist and charter boats get a higher precentage of the fish. Yes, the fish are smaller early in the year. Lets not forget the ocean is normally rough more often than this summer. lets open all fisheries seven days a week and give All fisherman a chance at them. When it closes, it closes.

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
They went to seven days a week so the working family man can go down for the weekend and fish. Other wise, tourist and charter boats get a higher precentage of the fish. Yes, the fish are smaller early in the year. Lets not forget the ocean is normally rough more often than this summer. lets open all fisheries seven days a week and give All fisherman a chance at them. When it closes, it closes.
Your point about fishing time for working folks has much merit.
When the ocean is rough,however, the tourist and charter boats get a higher percentage of the fish due to the fact that only charter sized boats can make it out safely.
I am not sure that the derby style, catch 'em all quick, fishing we have developed in the estuary is in the best interests of the average fisherman.
The kids are barely out for summer vacation and the seven day per week pounding the sturgeon take has already eaten up the quota. So much for the family friendly summer fishery we used to have.
Labor day weekend is traditionally a day for Joe Sixpack and his family to ocean fish for salmon. I question the wisdom of using up the quota by that time even if we have to hold off the opener to mid July. The fish are bigger and better later anyway.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
We will be there to close her down.

What sucks is, very few silvers upriver on tongue Point are caught. I cannot remember hitting the freshwater quota recently. Why not transfer some of the kill downstream, instead of letting the netters mop up?

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
Wow looks like a I picked the perfect weekend to get out there rp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts