IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like these people are barking up the correct tree...for a change. :wink:

I found a website at www.krisweb.com detailing some of the restoration activities in the California portion of the Klamath basin and the Klamath River's largest tributary, the Trinity River. This is an excerpt:

In 1963, two large dams on the Trinity River were completed, blocking 109 miles of salmon and steelhead habitat. Just after the dam was completed, 90% of the historic flow of the river was diverted to the Central Valley for agricultural use. With the reduction in flow, the Trinity River channel narrowed and thick riparian vegetation began to encroach. Salmon and steelhead populations plummeted despite the establishment of Trinity River Hatchery right below Lewiston Dam.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">If 50,000 acre feet of cool, high quality water is available for release from Trinity Reservoir, that is a significant amount...about as much as Henry Hagg Res. holds, for example. But I don't know if releasing it now is the answer...maybe these early fish need to be culled out of the gene pool :whazzup: ...nature's way, etc. Last year, after the 33,000 fish die-off, the rest of the run returned after the river cooled...and still ended with the 3rd highest run on record.

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
From The Fish Sniffer:

Name: Richard Alves
Email: [email protected]
Comment: ACTION ALERT!!! Klamath Salmon Need Water NOW

Ladies and Gentlemen:

We are quickly approaching a repeat of last year’s Klamath River Fish Kill. Local weather conditions over the last few weeks have produced rain and lower water temperatures and we have seen numerous anadromous fish enter the system. Temperatures are up and water flows are at record lows. This makes it highly probable we will see another fish kill UNLESS SOMETHING IS DONE NOW!

The Fish Sniffer has posted an action alert and provided a letter, to which personal comments may be added, that can be sent to the following elected officials and government agencies by simply typing in your name, EMAIL address, hometown and clicking send.

You can access it at www.fishsniffer.com or http://www.fishsniffer.com/steelhead/030815klamathfishaction.html

President George Bush

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Senator Gordon Smith (R-OR)

Senate Committee on the Environment
Members
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR)
Senator Thomas Carper (D-DE)
Senator George Voinovich (R-OH)
Senator Joseph Lieberman (D-CT)
Senator Michael Crapo (R-ID)
Senator Bob Graham (D-FL)
Senator Lincoln Chafee (R-RI)
Senator Harry Reid (D-NV)
Senator John Cornyn (RTX)
Senator Max Baucus (D-MT)
Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY)
Senator Craig Thomas (R-WY)
Senator Wayne Allard (R-CO)
Senator James Inhofe (R-OK)
Senator John Warner (R-VA)
Senator Christopher Bond (R-MO)
Senator James Jeffords (I-VT)

House Fisheries Conservation, Wildlife and Oceans Committee

Gale Norton...Department of the Interior

Jeffery McCracken...Bureau of Reclamation

National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

National Marine Fisheries Service

Humbolt County Board of Supervisors
The text of the letter is:

Dear Honorable Ladies and Gentlemen,

Your attention and action is urgently needed NOW to provide water to prevent a repeat of last year’s Klamath River Fish Kill.

The Lower Klamath River Basin experienced an extended period of thunderstorms and cool weather during the end of July and the beginning of August, 2003. The rains increased flows at the mouth of the Klamath River and lowered water temperatures.

The change in river conditions brought numerous fall run salmon and steelhead into the system. Conditions have returned to normal and water temperatures are now in the mid seventies!

Although the steelhead are still in the river mouth region, the salmon, which entered the system, have moved upriver. The record low water flows and high water temperatures have created river conditions in which salmon cannot survive. The fish currently in the Klamath system will be stressed and develop the same disease responsible for last year’s fish kill, the largest in the history of the Western US. When the main salmon run starts in a couple of weeks, they will meet the diseased fish in the system and we will see another massive fish kill.

“If we don’t get a release of water into the system NOW, we will see another kill,” Dan Carter, a fishing guide on the Lower Klamath quoted in the Fish Sniffer.

To complicate matters, the information on water flows provided by the US Geological Service website does not match observed flows, according to many fishing guides I have talked to. This is also reminiscent of last year when flow data WAS NOT AVAILABLE for 5 days in the middle of the fish kill. This allows government agencies to say there isn’t a problem when complaints about low flows arise!

A 50,000 acre feet reserve has been set aside in the Trinity Reservoir for emergency use to prevent another fish kill. According to Jeffrey McCracken, spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, this water will be released starting in late August if the Fish and Wildlife Service, NOAA, and the Tribes agree conditions warrant its use. Humbolt County has a water allocation which will they will not be used this year. This water could be used to begin releases now rather than waiting for September.

We are facing an emergency now. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE! The fishery and the economy of the Lower Klamath region cannot afford a repeat of last year’s disaster. It is high time to put aside political differences and bureaucratic foot dragging to take care of urgent business.

I urge you to take immediate action to prevent this imminent catastrophe. We could use a little of the "Spirit of New York" out here.

Sincerely...

I implore you to get involved in this campaign and urge your constituents to show a little “Spirit of Chicago” by voting early and often.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your efforts at working for healthier and abundant fisheries.

Sincerely,
Richard Alves

PS: I apologize I didn’t have the time to write each of you personally.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To the top one more time.

I guess I'm curious why those who blame the Klamath fish kill on Oregon farmers (and loggers) in the upper basin don't have anything to say about the Trinity River diversion. :whazzup:

We've heard last year's dieoff was a direct result of political decisions not to release more water (from the upper basin)...but all the while, huge amounts of water were stored in the upper Trinity system. Sounds like this year a bunch of that Trinity River water will be released to prevent another large dieoff.

This action alert is an effort to start the releases immediately instead of waiting for Sept 1st.

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
By the way, when I post these alerts, it does not, in any way, voice my opinion.

I just post them for other people.

I don't know much about this whole deal. I'm pretty stupid most of the time. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Originally posted by GutshotApe:
To the top one more time.

I guess I'm curious why those who blame the Klamath fish kill on Oregon farmers (and loggers) in the upper basin don't have anything to say about the Trinity River diversion. :whazzup:

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Well said GSA! I am curious about the same.

Jamie

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Good job!

Nice to see others concerned and working on finding solutions!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GSA,

I guess I'm curious why those who blame the Klamath fish kill on Oregon farmers (and loggers) in the upper basin don't have anything to say about the Trinity River Diversion.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sigh...you had to ask.

A couple misstatements of fact.

1. Logging is not a significant cause. Don't see much in the science reports or restoring the Klamath Basin about logging. Please post some references and links on the logging in Klamath Basin.

2. Trinity River water is the water available due to purchase of water rights etc. by tribes and environmentalists and the small miniority of fishermen who put salmon over highly subsidized agriculture.

3. Restricted water flow in the Klamath Basin, all parts of the Klamath, are responsible for reduction in salmon and loss of jobs and industry.

I think your ideas about the water flows on the Klamath Basin have been pretty well deconstructed by all the scientific reports from NOAA Fisheries, National Geologic Survey, CA Dept of Fish and Game on the other Klamath Threads.

I think the reason you are trying to hijack this thread for your personal opinions is because the science and economics have consistently contradicted your views so you were hoping for a rematch.

Why not start another thread and I'll post all the evidence again though it has not changed <grin>.

Brion

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by BrionLutz:

1. Logging is not a significant cause. Don't see much in the science reports or restoring the Klamath Basin about logging. Please post some references and links on the logging in Klamath Basin.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That's right...logging in Oregon isn't a significant factor in the lower river dieoff (and neither is farming in Oregon, for that matter)...but it has been claimed by other Ifishers in posts on other threads to be a significant factor.

2. Trinity River water is the water available due to purchase of water rights etc. by tribes and environmentalists and the small miniority of fishermen who put salmon over highly subsidized agriculture.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Trinity Reservoir is where the 90% diversion of the Trinity River, the largest Klamath tributary, happens. I don't know how the 50,000 acre-feet was made available this year or why it wasn't available last year. Under natural conditions, the upper Klamath basin (Oregon) would be producing very little flow this time of year...while the Trinity, Shasta, Salmon and Scott Rivers would have combined flows enough to provide much better fish habitat in the lower river than now is the case. The California tributaries are being diverted and/or siphoned off. By releasing the 50,000 acre feet of Trinity reservoir water (most likely at the expense of Fresno-area farmers), there probably won't be a repeat of last year's salmon die off...or it won't be as severe this year if there is another one. It seems to me such a release would "restore" a more natural hydrologic regime to the basin, especially if upper basin flows were reduced to natural late summer levels. But if this is a one-time deal...if the 50,000 AF aren't going to happen in future years...then maybe we'd be better off waiting to start the releases until Sept 1st to ensure they can be maintained until fall rains begin. That's a call for the local F&G biologists, IMO.

I think your ideas about the water flows on the Klamath Basin have been pretty well deconstructed by all the scientific reports from NOAA Fisheries, National Geologic Survey, CA Dept of Fish and Game on the other Klamath Threads.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The CA Fish & Game report didn't even mention the Trinity River or its diversion....and you expect me to believe the report is authoritative or unbiased? :hoboy:

I think the reason you are trying to hijack this thread for your personal opinions is because the science and economics have consistently contradicted your views so you were hoping for a rematch.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I'm not trying to hijack this thread...my posts have been entirely consistent with the topic.

Why won't you address the Trinity River diversion and its part in the late summer flow problem? :whazzup:

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Maybe we can start another page exclusively for Brion Lutz.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GSA,

Why won't you address the Trinity River diversion and its part in the late summer flow problem?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Love to start another Klamath Basin thread! Is that Jennie screaming in the background? <grin>.

But I wouldn't hijack this thread to do that. Start a new one here or on LIG about Trinity River, Klamath Basin etc. and awaaaay we go.

Brion

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
If you are interested in helping salmon in the lower reaches of the Klamath river survive, please write a letter to one of the afore mentioned people concerning the Trinity water release.
That is our best chance to prevent another die off, under current (natural or artificial in late August) conditions.

Under natural (no dam holding back Klamath Lake) conditions, there would be little or no water from that source. As it is, the water in JC boyle (Topsy Res.) Copco and Irongate could maybe be used, but it is most likely much warmer than would be healthy for salmon.

For that matter most of Klamath Lake's water is way too warm right now too, and no doubt full of algae as well. Average depth of Klamath Lake is only about 6' this time of year, and that's with the dam holding it back.
Without the dam it would be a mere 4' or less, and warmer yet,... All the way to the bottom.
Jamie

·
Registered
218 Posts
Over the next few weeks, starting last week, flows on the Trinity will triple and then gradually go back down again. While this is not a long term solution at least there is some action being taken.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Use some of the Trinity water to cool things down!!!
Klamath Lakes temps are around 80 degrees now. There is a reason all the trout move into the Wood and Williamson rivers this time of year.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by BrionLutz:
Love to start another Klamath Basin thread!
.....But I wouldn't hijack this thread to do that. Start a new one here or on LIG about Trinity River, Klamath Basin etc. and awaaaay we go. Brion
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Brion...go back to the top and re-read the initial post...its about the Klamath fishkill and the Trinity diversion...isn't it? :whazzup:

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
No, I'm not screaming. I'm leaving to go fishing.

I am frustrated a bit though, in that some people don't seem to understand that they are part of the problem, rather then part of the solution.

Read the acceptable use policy.

Ifish was meant to be a friendly place to chat about fishing.

You all agreed to the Acceptable Use Policy.

If you think you are making a positive change by making a certain statement on ifish, then you are headed in the right direction.

I fyou only trying to "WIN" an argument, give ifish a break.

Now.... which rod do I want today? :smile:

Jen

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by Keta:
Salmon can not live in 70 degree or warmer water.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Yes, they can. They do not prefer it, it is not good for them and problems can start at that water temp., however, to say they "can not live" in it is simply not true. They live in it ever summer in the Rogue canyon.

[ 08-18-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

G

·
OK. 75 degree then. Not this year due to the recent cool spell and winds but by the end of July the lake water is usualy deadly to salmon.

[ 08-18-2003, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Keta ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts