IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my local newspaper today, there was an article on the tribs being full of salmon. The accompanied photo shows a guy releasing an "accidentily snagged fish" just had to laugh at that one. BTW, it was on the Lewis. It was accidental because of the reporters and camera. :laugh:

Not laughing at the snagging itself, but the ignorance of the reporter.

[ 10-08-2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Not so funny to me. I have tailhooked several fish on the santiam sitting on the bank with eggs... Accidentally, and always realease foul hooked fish.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
right... the problem is not the accidental but the intentional. and of course the ones that keep them that are hooked either way.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I'm with tag along. I do not condone of keeping or intentionally snagging fish but, I think "snaghysteria" is reaching new heights

·
Registered
235 Posts
Amen Foxer. I'm not defending anyone who either intentionally snags or who harvests snagged fish, but the simple fact of the matter is that salmon are going to be hooked foul from time-to-time with virtually every technique. Heck, I had a fish hooked foul with bobber and bait in tide water before. And if you've never fouled a salmon in your life, all I can say is you probably haven't fished for them much.

It's getting to where there are a lot of folks who think everyone who doesn't fish exactly the same way they do is a snagger. A toning down of the rhetoric would probably go a long ways toward actually solving the problems posed by those who are actually employing snagging as a fishing method.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, maybe it was accidental :wink: But the crowds it showed at a popular hole just told me that it was probably not. Everywhere ive fished this year on the banks, a majority have been snagging. Heck i even saw a co-worker who told everyone who would listen, that he never snags(at work). But my fishing partner saw him haul one in by the tail and keep it. So it is as bad as it sounds, at least on the Kalama and the Lewis, thats why i stay away from these places anymore. Whish, whish whish thats all you hear. Lewis

[ 10-08-2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
A great American once said "It's not the action that's right or wrong. It's the purpose behind that action."

IMHO, if one attempts to snag fish or keeps a fish that is snagged, than that person is wrong.

I do not believe one should so fear snagging that he cannot fish where he may accidentally tail hook or gillplate hook a fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts