|If you do not agree to these rules, please do not use the discussion board at www.ifish.net||Ifish|
Acceptable Use Policy
Guidelines and agreement for ifish board members.
Ifish.net maintains the interactive portion(s) of the Web site as a service free of charge to registered members. By using any interactive services provided herein, you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the terms, conditions and notices relating to its use. Some situations require moderator judgement calls, and may not be spelled out in the following Acceptable Use Policy. (Commonly referred to on the bulletin board as The AUP)
The Ifish web site is devoted to fishing in Oregon and Washington, and is spreading to neighboring states. Ifish was created by a fisherwoman named Jennie who continues to operate this site. Part of what she feels makes ifish a success is the strict adherance to the belief that we maintain polite, positive, non inflamatory interactions between fishermen and women.
One of the most popular resources is the Bulletin Board, also called the discussion group. Registered members of the board can initiate new discussion topics (threads) and contribute to existing ones (posts). This document provides guidelines to help avoid tangling lines, snagging gear or foul hooking. We want to keep it fun for most members, most of the time. A group of dedicated volunteers function as moderators to help keep the discussions civil. The guidelines are provided so you know what to expect and are aware of the consequences of unacceptable statements. Keep in mind; this is a free board that takes a lot of work.
By choosing to be a member of the Bulletin Board you agree to abide by its rules and guidelines. The moderators can enforce the guidelines through warnings, editing, private moderation, or banning of membership, based on the severity or frequency of problems. Banning is rarely an issue, but it is occasionally necessary. If you are warned, we would appreciate a note back saying that you understand the reason why we warned you. If you are put into private moderation, you can expect to be there until the problem is fully resolved on both sides. While in private moderation, all of your posts are monitored before they are publicly posted. If you are banned, which is rarely done, you can expect a vacation from ifish. There have been times when these issues have been fully resolved. We work towards this in every way we can!
The Ifish bulletin board is a real-time discussion. It is impossible to review all messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. Each message express the views of its author, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board or any entity associated with the bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact the listed moderators by using the report function at the top right of each post. There are three dots there. Just click them, and you'll see "report" at the bottom.When alerted, we have the ability to edit or remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so within a reasonable time. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or Ifish owns it. Although the moderators do not and cannot review all messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this bulletin board, Vbulletin, Inc. (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).
The moderators also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.
Please note that advertisements, test or pre marketing, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this bulletin board. Anyone found to be joining ifish for the sole purpose to sell is invited to leave.
A non promotional, non commercial single link (URL) to your own homepage is currently allowed in a member's signature. Please note that it must be your own homepage and no advertising tag line will be permitted in conjunction with it, unless it is a current ifish sponsor's page. Ifish does not allow commercial graphics promoting your business or homepage, with or without a hyperlink. As reported, they will be deleted without notice.
Ifish.net, it's current and past moderators waive any and all responsibility for any injury or personal loss that any person or property might incur in using any suggestions or recommendations, particularly where there is a risk such as in boating rivers, boating coastal bars, or river wading. We offer the best advice that we can, but common sense and responsibility is upon the individual participants in any activity. Please exercise proper caution in accepting boat rides with other members. Know your captain!
Ifish.net is not the place for bashing of people or racial slurs. Please do not join if this is your intent.
Contents of this site are intended for personal, non-commercial, educational and discussion purposes only and should not be relied upon for personal, medical, legal, or financial decisions. Any opinions expressed on this site are the opinions of the authors and not necessarily those of Ifish.net. Ifish.net makes no representations about the suitability, reliability, timeliness, appropriateness, or accuracy of the information contained on this site. Ifish.net will not be liable for damages of any kind arising from the use of this site.
Your use of this web site is at your own risk. Under no circumstances and under no legal theory shall Ifish.net, its supporters, owners, or any other party involved in creating, producing, or delivering this web site's contents be liable to you or any other person for any damages, including but not limited to indirect, direct, punitive, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising from your access to, or use of, this web site.
- The group you have just joined has over 10 thousand registered members and several thousand more who just read the information posted here. "Private" conversations are discouraged -- they should be taken to private email. Discussions should be kept to things that are of general interest to the group as a whole. The discussion board is not a private "chat line"
- Ifish reserves the right to run contests for prizes on the board. Please contact the admin, before posting a contest of any kind.
- Topics on the fishing boards should be fishing related. This is a broad restriction permitting discussion of techniques, tackle, runs, genetics, legislation, charitable activities and other issues related to fishing. Occasionally a topic may get remote, but that can be part of the fun.
- One of the drawbacks to the board's growing membership is an occasional surge in pointless messages. This bulletin board is loosely moderated and therefore we must be somewhat self-regulating.
- It is perfectly understandable that from time to time you may take offense at something that was written here, but rather than subject everyone to an emotional response, consider the broader audience. Take it to private e-mail or simply count to 10 and ignore it.
- Because of recent and more restrictive changes in law, ifish will no longer allow pictures of native springers out of the water where the law prohibits springers out of the water.
- Bear in mind that many board members have a finely honed and dry sense of humor. Only after reading for a while will you be able to detect who these folks are. Internet bulletin boards are notorious for masking the subtleties of the tone of even skilled authors.
- Refrain from posting messages of a nature that offer to sell any product or service in the general discussion boards. You can always send these types of messages directly to an individual or post to the "for sale" section of the board.
- You may discuss's any commercial product. Please note that only www.ifish.net sponsors have the right to post contact information. All non sponsor contact information, including e mail, web addresses, and physical addresses, will be removed upon notice. [Note that commercial advertising supports Ifish. Advertisements do appear on Ifish, but we try to keep them to a minimum in the general discussion group.]
- Please do NOT post virus warnings or chain letters to the board.
- Do not post negative comments on another's fishing report thread. Such negative comments will be removed with out comment
- Please use proper upper and lower case when posting messages. Posting messages all in "CAPS" MAKES IT APPEAR THAT YOU ARE SHOUTING AT US! It is also very difficult to read these messages and many readers will simply bypass them. If you have something valuable or interesting to say, make it easy for us to read your message.
- Proofreed. Profread. Prooofread. PROOFREAD!!!
- From time to time there will be a discussion thread you believe is useless, pointless, a complete waste of your time and a misuse of the board. If you've gritted your teeth for too long a time and the discussion is primarily amongst a few members, consider a brief, polite e-mail suggesting to these folks that they take the topic to private e-mail.
- If you've completely ground your teeth to the jawbone, send a private e-mail to one of the board moderators listed at the top of the bulletin board.
- By posting communications, User grants:
a. To www.ifish.net: A royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable nonexclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, translate, distribute, perform and display those communications alone or as part of other works in any form, media, or technology whether now known or hereafter developed and sublicense such rights through multiple tiers of sublicenses.
b. To other Users: The right to access, view, store, and reproduce the communications for personal use.
If you are going to post a complaint to the board, whether it be a brand, person, product, agency, public service or company, you must post your entire real name along with the post. This rule is designed to cut down on people hiding behind false monikers to post false claims against personal enemies, and creates an atmosphere of accountabiliity, should someone from the organization like to argue their side. (Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product or company is a bannable offense. If you have a complaint or comment to make then make it once and make sure you have facts to support it.)
Public Disagreements with Administration/Staff or Guidelines
You agree that if you have questions about, or concerns with the ifish.net website policy or action of a moderator or admin, you will not post public arguments or disagreements nor attempt to petition the owner/administration to change policy through posts, polls, email, PM or any other service. If you disagree, you may respectfully post your comments in private in the feedback form.
Where is my Freedom of Speech?
Although the constitution of the US guarantees that “Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech”, ifish.net is not Congress. Freedom of speech rights do not extend to this privately owned website. The AUP/Guidelines of this website governs the behaviors and activities of the members. If you choose not to follow the guidelines agreed to during registration, the result is a disabling of your account.
Contrary to popular belief, this is not a public board. You are all guests here. Nothing should ever be posted here that you would not say in front of a crowd of strangers or your Mother. Don't post anything distasteful or anything you feel might offend someone else. PG-13 type language in ALL forums, including Off -Topic. Sometimes, cartoon cussing is allowed.
As many of you know, in addition to the discussions we have for our own benefit, we also present a showcase to the lurkers and fence-sitters. We do have a word filter which will catch a few foul terms, but it is not the solution nor should it be the solution.
Using faintly disguised obscenities with creative or phonetic spelling basically shows disrespect for your hosts. We are here voluntarily, including the moderators and the forum admins, because we are trying to maintain a forum worthy of the tradition started on ifish.net.
While strong words have their place and time, a public forum in which polite conduct has been requested is not the time or the place for them.
I love the idea of the savings of group purchases.
As we develop a more refined policy for groups purchases, we ask that you honor us by notifying and seeking approval from ifish.net, first.
All group purchases must be approved by ifish.net before posting to the board. This includes any kind of test marketing.
We totally understand that some purchases cannot be made through ifish.net sponsors, but we'd like to give them the chance to serve us, first.
If you have a money saving idea for ifishers, I'd really appreciate it, if you'd please write to me before you make final arrangements.
The following types of content may result in an immediate revocation of membership and/or banning
of a member from the bulletin board.
- Inflammatory posts. A post, or statement in a post, which serves only to fire up negative emotions or generate anger will be edited or deleted at the discretion of the moderators. Multiple offenses will result in private moderation, or banning.
- Profanity. A wide variety of people read the Ifish bulletin board, including elementary school children. Many of us use salty language while we are out fishing, but on ifish we don't know everyone we're speaking with.
- Sharing, giving away, or lending your password for use by another person, and letting them post as if they are you. This rule is especially serious when given to a person who has previously been banned from ifish.
- Personal/racial attacks. Avoid negative comments regarding individuals. Racial slurs will not be tolerated. Harassment will not be tolerated. You can disagree with other members without resorting to personal attacks.
- Posting private e mails on the board. These are just that. Private.
- False Fishing Reports. Knowingly posting false fishing reports will not be tolerated at ifish.
- Publicly challenging the administration and moderators rules of use. Discussing the rules is fine. Challenging, testing, pushing, and refusal to recognize them is a problem. Please feel free to e mail your concerns to the admins.
- References to or photographs of banned users. Members will be notified once that a post refers to a banned user and will be removed. Repeated violations may result in the loss of posting privileges. This is for the banned member's privacy, as he cannot respond.
- Illegal statements or promoting illegal activities.
- Multiple monikers or user names.
Ifish Community Vendor Rules: Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, multi-level marketing, blatant cross-posting, promotion of competitive commercial or noncommercial sites and/or their affiliates & organizations in the body of a message, falsifying identity to promote a site or businesses in which you are involved and solicitations of any manner are inappropriate in this BB and may result in immediate and permanent revocation of your posting rights. Your personal web site may be listed as an url once in your signature line. (Go to My home and personal information)
If your intention on the message boards is to promote your products or service, you are in the wrong place. Selling on the Ifish Community board is strictly prohibited and rigorously enforced, with one warning and then account termination. We define a vendor as any individual or company that sells a service or item for the purpose of profit, regardless of the volume or dollar value of that sale, whether incorporated or not. If you are here to simply converse with fellow fishermen and women- enjoy! Vendors are not allowed to discuss their competitor's products in any way shape or form. Vendors are far from impartial and we don't feel it is ethical to allow them to evaluate their competition.
The Classified ad boards are for one time private sales. Multiple production of one item may not be continuously advertised.
The Classified ad boards use excludes any legal business, unless those businesses are specifically Ifish vendors. You may not advertise your line of work on these boards.
www.ifish.net assumes no responsibility for items bought, sold or traded. Transactions are between private individuals and normal caution should be exercised.
If you donate a contest for the front page of ifish, you may use the resources on ifish.net to advertise your product for the term in which you are being displayed on ifish.
"Ready, Set" vendors are allowed reasonable advertising on the board. (Reasonable, meaning casual mention of said product.)
Ifish reserves the right, at any time, to discontinue your services at any time, for misuse of the board.
If the bulletin board moderators decide that a post does not conform to the intent of the board or contains inappropriate material you may receive a private warning from the moderators. Moderators will act quickly to edit or delete profanity, racial slurs, personal attacks, illegal statements and inappropriate suggestive comments when they are brought to their attention. If the behavior persists or the posting is particularly egregious the moderators reserve the right to revoke your membership and place a ban on your address to prevent your rejoining. Though we hope it rarely becomes necessary, the moderators may also, for reasons of their own, choose to unsubscribe and ban you without warning at any time. These actions are not taken lightly, but unfortunately they can be necessary.
Dumb posts will be removed with no explanation. LOL
The moderators' primary goal is to keep the spirit of the board a tightly knit community of folks with a common interest in friendly, if sometimes barbed, banter about fishing. This can be a great resource to learn how, where and when to fish. It can lead to new friendships. But it requires that everyone show consideration to fellow subscribers.
If you don't agree with these rules, please do not register an account with us. We try to let the forums run themselves as much as possible, but do occasionally step in when these rules are violated.
We reserve the right to change these membership rules at any time. Therefore, you should review them periodically to make certain that you continue to agree with them.
We will not sell, trade, or give out e-mail addresses to companies or other organizations. We will not intentionally disclose any personal identifiable information about you as an individual user (such as, for example, your full name, street address, telephone number or e-mail address) to any third party without having first received your permission. We may request personal identification information from you in connection with your use of, or participation in, contests, sweepstakes, games, surveys, submissions, chat and bulletin boards. However, we will only collect this personal information from you if it has been voluntarily submitted to us.
Any personal information provided to us may be used in connection with the activities previously referred to above. Should you send us an e-mail with questions or comments, we may use your personal information in order to respond to your questions or comments. We may also keep your comments or questions for future reference.
It is important to note that if you give out personal information online, through a message board or chat room, for example, that information may be collected and used by third parties. Although we strive to protect our users' privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of information you post in these arenas. You disclose such information at your own risk.One exception to this policy is that we will release specific information about you or your account to comply with any valid legal process such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute or court order.
Enjoy the contributions made to the board, and remember that you are among friends. (Who have also had to read through this long thing!)