IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6500 c3, its pretty new. I use it on my back up rod for guests. My cousin used it and lost a fish because of the jerky drag(even when real loose). Anyone have that problem or know of a solution. The reel worked fine the last time i used it and now its all the sudden unusable. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took it to the place i bought it and was told that on Abus you have to loosen the drag after every use or youll ruin the drag washers. This is my third Abu and have not ever had this problem. I guess i need new drag washers.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Loosen the drags on ALL reels between use. Didn't yor mama teach you nuthin'? :tongue:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mama dont fish :grin: But thanks for the info. Must have been a break off with drag on high and didnt loosen. Live and learn i guess.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
fisherdan,

One of my Abu's started doing that after I overlubed it. If that's what happened, then I believe you will have to replace the drag disks.

D.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the same reel and a few months ago I noticed that the drag was real loose and you had to practically use a wrench to get any drag at all.

So yesterday I picked up a new set of drag washers ($4.50) at Ollie Damon's and changed them today. When I opened up the reel I noticed that the washers were oily (their supposed to be dry). Apparently when I was doing my yearly maintenance I used too much oil and it got down into the washers.

Anyway, it was pretty easy to change them (my first time) and the reel works like a charm now.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think ill order some new ones now. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Abu drags are designed to be dry. Getting them wet with grease or oil creates a variable friction situation and jerky drag. You should definitely keep the drag unbuttoned between uses. I have customers who upgrade to Smoooothie drags and enjoy using them. These aftermarket drags are also meant to be used dry but they are smoother for a longer time than stock material. The only downside is they don't have quite as much stopping power for some people.
By the way Penn HT100 drags are also designed to be used dry.

Look for future articles on reel maintenance soon on Ifish.

Al

·
Registered
99 Posts
About a year ago there was an article in STS about reel maintenance. It said to soak the drag washers in oil and showed pictures of ambassadeur reels

BIG mistake !!!!!!!

apparantly some of the older reels have washers that are oiled......oops

Southwest parts on the net sells them pretty cheap. I stock up on them for replacements, because the shipping is more than the washers.

I have also made the mistake of over oiling my reel and ended up dragless!!!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've generally had to replace drag washers at least once a year on my ABUs. So I keep a spare set in my tackle box. Get an aresol can of break cleaner, that does a great job of degreasing the drags. But leaving the drags on all the time, or over tightening them will not only deform the drag discs themselves, but the two washers that push on the pads from the star drag wheel.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Try the Penn drag washers in you Abu. Ollie Damons know the ones to use. AND, loosed your drags after fishing like your momma taught you :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts