IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure would like to see a picture of that.Were can I get some info.???? :shocked:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
dampainter,

I've got a couple 5500CS Pro Rockets. Love 'em, and think they're worth every penny. The standard ABU 5500 and 6500 reels imported to the US are definately a step below the Pro Rockets, IMO. Unfortunately, ABU doesn't sell the "good stuff" in the US; you have to go to Europe, Japan or Australia to find them.

Here's a pic: http://www.hunt101.com/img/066787.JPG
Top to bottom: 5500CS Pro Rocket, 5500CS Pro Rocket, 6500CS Mag Elite.

The Pro Rockets cast like a dream and have a very nice, smooth drag system. The Mag Elite is designed for distance casting....you can put it in free-spool, spin the spool with your thumb, and drink a cup of coffee while it slows and stops.

I like the retro look of the reels (squared off side plates with cast control knobs). You'll definately get some comments on them when you get them re-spooled with line.

I got them from Steve Barratt in Australia. Steve's a great guy and very, very good about customer service. You can see his reels here: http://www.letsgofishin.com.au/reel_index.htm

good luck........Mike

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
anyone have one or are familiar with the abu garcia 6500 cs rocket reel? are they worth it? much to maintain?...about only place I can find one is on the internet with the dealers being in europe or australia??

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
MikeT.....Thanks, Am thinking of getting the Regular? Rocket CS.....any thoughts/comparisons between the Pro Rocket and Rocket CS??

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I couldn't tell you the difference. You might want to compare specs on Steve's web site or email Steve with questions. Let him know what you plan to use it for and I imagine he'll make a recommendation. You can also have him upgrade the reel with high speed brass or stainless gears if you think you need that.

Mike

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
thanks guys....have one on order from aussie land :rolleyes: and one on order from hatteras, santa came early I am getting one of each model.....did you get stainless or brass MikeT? any idea, the difference with those? and versus stock? whats the best?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have two - both 6500 CS Rockets from 2002 (light blue). One from a guy that works at the Sweden factory, and one from Europe. They are casting machines, if you're fishing from the bank, and they winch 16 ounces of lead and an alvin pretty good for the fall chinook. These reels are well built, and are built the way ABU used to build reels - FOR LIFE! I own a total of 45 ABU reels, and these two are the go-to guys! You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys...thanks for the great info on ABU....I am thinking about the pro rocket....there prices are in line with local retailers, without the good stuff...thanks again...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts