IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will make this a simple post. :smile:

Me and my friends love to fish the Willamette above the Falls...Wheatland Ferry area to be exact. We usually will go after work and get a good 4 hours of fishing in. We really love to be out and enjoying the trip but a fish every now and then would be great... We logged over 148 hours on the river last year and caught 20+ chubs and that is it :shrug:

We saw many fish caught the majority of them being stealhead but we just can't seem to figure it out. I beleive fishing is a learning sport if you don't get the knowledge from trial and error then you try to learn from those who have had success. I feel my trial and error period is over so now I'am looking for a few hints on gear. I run a salmon splitter with an 18" dropper and 4oz of lead then a 54" leeter with a prawn riggin. I just let it sit on the bottom I'am not sure if I'am to deep or if i should lighten up my lead and let it be farther off the bottom. I love to kwickFish but it seems the current is to strong I tried it but I'am not sure if i should let it go the bottom and sit or if it is just impossable to do because of current. I'am too the point know were I feel I just don't know what to do.. :shrug: I would like to find one thing that works and just stick with it seems like I'am changing gear all the time and trying everything in the box from small to big.. If anyonw has a riggin that they would like to share i would be more than willing to listen and give it a try. WE anchor up and enjoy the rest of the day on river. You can email me at [email protected] or simply reply to the post. Any help will be appreciated. :cheers:

So much for a simple post lol

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
What depth of water have you been fishing?

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Just a thought. If the current is too strong for kwikfish maybe your not in the right spot. Those fish hang on the edges and look for lighter current to travel in not no current just lighter current. when you are up tight to the bank with a gravel bottom in about 6 to 12 feet of water and the current is just right for a k15 kwikfish to work right you might be in one of the right spots. Good luck and it can be very frustrating up there. another Idea is to get a ride on one of the shuttle boats to one of the boats that stays anchored for the entire spring chinook season in one of the known productive spots.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'am usually fishing in spots that are not much deeper than 6-8ft. I share the side of boat that faces more current when we anchor up I do believe looking for a better moving spot that is not as strong would help. Thanks to all who replied

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats your email I'amthe10percent there is no link on the post :smile:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Last time we fished it was a couple years ago but we did decent with spinners in the same depth as you are fishing with about the same dropper/leader lengths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts