IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you can use plug cut herring while your on anchor? and if so how would you do it?

any help would be great....

i tried to find a post of this in the archives but could'nt find one.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I dropped a herring-spinner rig near longview a few years back. Had a massive takedown on anchor and nailed a native trolling an hour later but haven't used it since :shrug:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Got two springers that way last year. Ran it off the same length dropper I had been using for kwikfish. As long as the current is working good enough to get a spin it will and does work. Really have to be patient, while on anchor though they can mess with it for quite awhile.

[ 04-11-2003, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: firedog ]

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Last spring, down near the mouth of the Kalama, there was a boat fishing from one of the wing dams. They were using whole red label herring on a mooching rig. 5 foot leader, 30 inch dropper. They were the hot boat. They dropped out 5 times for 3 rods in about 4 hours. Landed all 5.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I've seen two caught this year that way. Remember you gotta wait and let them take it.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
I tried it early this year below meldrum bar on anchor. Very slow day that day so I was really searching for something different. (this was before the river blew out). I put a cut plug herring on my boys rod. My fishing buddy that day said "hey, that boat over there has one on. As I was standing over my boys rod I heard that ever desernable creeeeeaakkk...!!! Looked down and the rod was folded. Picked it up and pulled the hammer down.......cracker!!!

Moral of story. Don't be afraid to try something different. Those fish see tons of kwiks, prawn, herring and so on. Sometimes a different presentation will attract more attention.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I can verify that. I've always believed in the change-up lure or bait, especially flyfishing.
I was in a hog line a few weeks back with guys using quickies and I tossed out a big, whacky
rainbow spinner with herring fillet wrapped on the treble. The clippy hit it on the way down, did'nt even have time to put it in the rod holder.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
They work fine in fast current. I've seen tons of fish cought on them. Most guys put a corkie or a spin and glo about a foot up their leader from the herring which helps keep it up off the bottom.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
my son got his fish last week using the herring setup on anchor.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts