IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you target chinook? We were out last week and it was a Coho slaughter. We had a couple of 15 pounders and the rest of our fish were still ~12-13 pounds. But, we didn't get any nookie. I have yet to ever catch one. We were trolling full herring with divers around buoy 1.

I have heard lately that some people troll outside of the south jetty? Is this the secret? Am I more likely to tag a chinook in the river? I have been out on charters before but have recently been fortunate enough to become crew on a friends boat and am still trying to learn about this stuff.

Thanks again guys,

Scott

·
Registered
179 Posts
We were there last weekend, we got to kings on top, 4oz weight with a fish flash and a cut plug about 30ft back. Normaly I go 40 to 60 down with a downrigger, but we had a hard time getting down because the slivers would hit on the way down. We had about 45 wild to 35 hatchy fish. The grandkids sure had fun fighting all those fish. They fed to fish the first day, but it didn't keep them from jumping up to get to a pole when we yelled fish on!! The next 3 days dramamine(sp) helped out. I think I got them hook on fishing now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
ScottyV...Well, when there are as many silvers as there are right now, it can be tough to target Chinook. You'll have a hard time getting through the silvers to get down to the Nook.

I know you want a chinook, but with coho running 12-15 lbs. you can afford to be patient.....who cares about those nooks. You can get those later this summer/fall at Tillamook. While chinook can be caught on top, you're more likely to reduce your chances of catching coho, if you fish the bottom where most chinook hang out. Do you have a downrigger? If so, fish whole herrring, or larger plug cut, about 5-10' off the botttom. Or drop about 8-10oz. of lead on and trail the same hook up, with no flashers.....Troll slower than for silvers as well.

You can get chinook in the river as well, but again, you'll need to get deeper than where the silvers are. Although, that again will be tough, as they can be at all depths.

Good luck.....

[ 08-22-2003, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: bullhead ]

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hooked alot of Chinooks today. 250' area most were undersized but 1 @ about 15lbs lost at the boat & 1 @ 28 - 30 lbs 20 - 40 pulls on deltas W hoochie or straight plug cut. But really with the silvers as big as they are I gotta agree w/ Bullhead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts