IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the begging has paid off. The wife says we can go on a fishing trip. But she does not want to have to fish the whole time. She would like to be able to look at some of the country (Alaska),
while I am fishing. She doesn't want take away from me the reason that I would be going, but she is physically unable to fish as much as I am. I figure that all of the fly in places are going to be out of the question. The searching that I have done has turned up nothing to meet the requirements of the Mrs. Do any of my fellow ifishers have any suggestions about site searches on ifish or anyother site. It has taken years for this opportunity to come about and I would rather not lose it if you can understand what I mean. Please all help and ideas are apppreciated.

Sled

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I would reccomend Yakutat Alaska. It's an easy flight from Seattle. Rent a car (wreck, I think they air drop them)at the airport. Don't need a guide. Fish the Situk River, drive up to the glacier, beachcomb. Yakutat Lodge, Glacier Bear Lodge, Blue Heron Inn and others. You can also rent a DB and they will shuttle. Good luck, and if you are planning this summer better get going with reservations.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I really like Orcas lodge on the Kenai in Soldotna. Reasonable rates, great log cabins right on the river. Great fishing nearby, a trip to homer fro halibut, cook inlet not far. Cheap flight seeing tours also. You can fly into anchorage and drive out, see and fish stuff on the way. We did day trips based out of there and it was great, kept our interest and offered alternatives.
Here's a link to the area. like it was said, better jump on it, stuff books up very fast, but there may be some cancellations if you call around. Late aug. or early sept. may be less busy up there.

http://www.soldotnachamber.com/accommodation.htm

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Sled,
If you decide to do Kenai, email me and I'll give you some more info on the fishing and such.
Good luck and have a blast up in alaska, there is no place like it!!!
GBS

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I took a train trip from Anchorage to Denali, it was a pretty casual way to see a lot of the land. I think it runs as far as Fairbanks.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Do the Soldotna trip. It is still civilized for your wife and great fishing for you. Lots of lodges on the Kenai and close by. Better book soon if you want anything at all.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I just got back last week from the Kenai Peninsula and had a fantastic time.

Caugh a bunch of Kings and some mighty fine eating Halibut.

I fished with a couple from Oregon that runs one of the best guide services there. I know because I just retired from 23 years of guiding there and wouldn't go with anybody else.

If I can be of any help please email me and I'll set you on the right course. You can do a buget trip or a full meal deal, they are good!!!!

I took all kinds of fishing pictures so if you would like to see any of let me know..

fop=summers retired

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Bllelk is right, especially about the vehicles. Yakutat is a great place to go, but it is landlocked. Last time I was there the road went 20 miles one way and not quite as far the other. If Herself is thinking she will sightsee while you fish,...I dunno if that's the right neighborhood for a lady to be driving around alone. A few miles out of town and you are way way out of town.

On the other hand, there is some butt fishing, 2-3 varieties of salmon, some dollys, and I heard rumors of some stray pike back in the bush a little way. Oh, and biiiig bears! I have a cast of a Yakutat sow track hanging on my den wall. It took almost 5 pounds of plaster to cast it!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would have to agree with greenbuttskunk. Fly into Anchorage and drive down the Turnagain Arm to the Kenai Penninsula.

There is the Kenai Princess Lodge which overlooks the Kenai River. When I went, we stayed at a Bed & Breakfast called the Blue Moose Lakeside Lodge located just outside of Soldotna on Longmere Lake. Lots of hotels, motels, and B&B's in the Soldotna, Kenai, Homer areas.

Lots of things to see and do. Fishing for salmon, steelhead, Halibut, bottom fish, big :shocked: rainbows and dolly's. Fly out opportunites for both fishing and sightseeing. Canoeing on the Kenai Canoe trails. River rafting. Glaciers....

Wow!!! Don't hesitate to book the trip. You will enjoy all that Alaska has to offer.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Be sure to prepare your wife for the bears, just to be safe. Provide here with Bear Bells to wear on her shoes and pepper spray to discourage the bears that come too close. And teach her to distinguish between the scat of the big dangerous brown bears and the smaller black bears. Brown bear scat has bear bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

·
Registered
280 Posts
How about taking a cruise. Every port you stop at you could take a charter out. Both of you would enjoy the amenities while traveling to the next spot in style.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sled19
When are you going?
I'll be hitting Anchorage July 1st, staying for two weeks.
My wife would love to show your wife around.
and while they are lookin we could be fishin.
Gordon

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
start looking now to book for next summer. A lot of the places have a base of repeat customers that book the fallowing year while they're there now.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the good ideas this will be a next summer trip. I will try to email you for more information.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts