IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the big hogs come in thick fish sometimes end up getting snagged (any method can end up snagging fish). If you have a fish that you is snagged (its not hard to tell if you have ever caught a salmon) is its life worth your 1.00 or 2.00 setup? By dragging in a fish that is snagged you put entirely too much stress on it and can end up killing it.. Also it is discourteous to your fellow fishermen to hog up a hole fighting a snagged fish. That being said, let the fun begin. Just do the ethically right thing. fighting fish is fun, fighting snagged fish is wrong.
tight lines
WRO

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is so true outlaw. There is definetly a feeling of no control when you've got one snagged in the tail or back. You can't turn there head and they are in full control.
Just thumb the spool and snap it off.

See ya

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Not to argue and in some circumstances I agree. I can almost always tell in the first 5 seconds that a fish is snagged. But I don’t like leaving a five ounce led hanging from some fishes belly. I don’t agree with someone “hogging” up a hole with a snagged fish. By the way I think we can all tell. I personally DRAG a snagged fish in as fast as I can. Cut / un-snag the hook as SOON as I can, and release.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason i refered to it as hogging up a hole is that when a fishermen is dragging a struggling 30lb fish in by its (you pick the place other than mouth) it makes other fishermen either downstream or upstream (depending on where the fish is running) pull out there lines while they wait for the snagged fish to landed. for a mouth hooked fish I could care less, but I have no paitence for snagged fish. My leaders are generally lighter than the main line so, atleast in my case, it will break and I can get my weight back.

[ 08-01-2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yes, true, fall salmon season is upon us, and that means here comes the snaggers out of the woodworks. Accidentally snagging is one thing, we all incidentally foul hook one once in a while, especially when the fish get thick. When you foul hook one, break it off quick, if you can.

As for all the snaggers, watch out.
The ifish.net community will be calling the Oregon State Police Wildlife Violators Hotline. Here is the number:

1-800-452-7888

SKP

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I agree with you WRO. When I hook a salmon, if I feel a shake like a 60 cycle bare wire has shocked me or that chinook flies out of the water headed upstream, it is time to point the rod tip at the fish. grab the spool, and get ready to tie up again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts