IFish.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Dwight’s permission --

Usually laconic cane rod restorer Dwight Lyons of Portland, Oregon happily reported by telephone that he caught a 10# summer steelhead on a dry fly in SW Oregon’s Umpqua River near Steamboat Inn.

Dwight used an 8’ Leonard restored by himself, and a hopper pattern. The fish was ocean bright, struck with fury, and put up quite a fight.

Lyons grand slam goal is to catch a summer steelhead on a dry fly in each of Oregon’s summer runs. He previously caught one on the Deschutes and says the Rogue River is next.

I, J Hector Beelart, Jr., remain your reporter on occasional arcane moments in Oregon bamboo rod angling history.

Ps: in fairness, I note that Oregon also has Steve Blake, another world class bamboo rod restorer, living in the small central Oregon town of Sisters. Steve is also an accomplished fly fisherman, but unlike Dwight, is somewhat less succinct, and a bit more lively in relating angling successes.

·
Fly Fisher
2,160 Posts
Dwight used an 8’ Leonard restored by himself, and a hopper pattern. The fish was ocean bright, struck with fury, and put up quite a fight.

Lyons grand slam goal is to catch a summer steelhead on a dry fly in each of Oregon’s summer runs. He previously caught one on the Deschutes and says the Rogue River is next.
What weight rod? Was he skating the fly or fishing it on a dead drift?

Sounds like a lofty goal!

I, J Hector Beelart, Jr., remain your reporter on occasional arcane moments in Oregon bamboo rod angling history. .
Hmm... Didn't a Joseph H. Beelart Jr. just write a book entitled, "Oregon Bamboo"?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts