IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly 2 years of retirement, I did the dumbest thing at the wrong time of year. I ask my self, Why? Is it because I want a new boat, well duh? I always want a new boat, even if I had just bought one yesterday, I'd still see another one that I thought was better and just had to have.

So I went back to work. So why, on my 9th day on the job, which after all, is the most enjoyable job that I have ever had, do I continue to lust after a day on the water? Old habit mabe? Selfishness for my own fun, probably, or is there a more deep rooted cause that I should seek therapy over.

Now, each day that I see the river in fishable conditions, I think, dang I should be fishing. But before when I was on the water and was not catching a darn thing, I thought, dang I should be working. What a catch 22 (pounder I wish).

So how can a person have their cake and eat it too? I know that there is at least one out there who has been in the same dilema that I am in know. My only link to the fishing that I should be doing now, are on this web site, vicariousaly through others stories and the outdoor channel.

I would like to believe that there is an up side to working during the best time of the year to be fishing. But, I am having a hard time believing myself or coming up with a plausable excuse that I can buy.

I am running out of reasons not to be fishing tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Maybe its just a matter of finding the right kind of job. After nearly 30 years as an independent consultant (health care), I am convinced that it is the best of all jobs, though having no security and waiting for the phone to ring can sometimes be unsettling. The freedom, however, is great.

However having said that I must point out that I am up at this silly hour not to go fishing but to get on a plane for work with a California client hospital.

I guess every job has its downside..... :depressed:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thumper,

Just curious if you don't mind, who do you work for? My wife is in the biz and works with a fisherman from the west side. She is also headed for CA this week.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Work is a dirty 4 letter word. I know, I did it for 47 years. Now each week is 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday.

Get your new boat and re-retire and enjoy it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thumper, I also have to travel at times in my work, and don't necessarily enjoy it. However, there can be an upside to that because my employer pays the travel to destinations like Alaska, Hawaii, Florida, Maine, etc. This then gives me the opportunity to hook up with guides on my free time to gain fishing experiences I otherwise would only read about or watch on The Outdoor Channel. :dance:

That's one of the reasons I haven't retired yet.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Denali --- It's my own dinky little firm. If your wife works for Eclipsys then I know her for sure. Do you drive a Duckworth?

[ 05-06-2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
use the money you earn working on a guide if you are having bad luck and limited days to fish. or just day dream of the boat you are going to buy cause you are working.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Denali:

When the wife's away making those big bucks just haul that Duck over here to God's country and we'll get blood all over it. Or leave it at home and we'll use my little jon boat.

When she's travelling she can't even reach me so it's safe to fish ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thumper,

Pick a weekend and I'm there with boat in tow. How could I turn down a key client of Eclipsys. Fishing the Clearwater this weekend. In the keys the last two weekends in May. Maybe an oversisize trip in June?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I would like to believe that there is an up side to working during the best time of the year to be fishing.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I always thought the fall was the best time to fish or wait is it winter or wait is it early spring or wait is it late summer?? :shrug:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Originally posted by Denali:
Maybe an oversisize trip in June?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Let's do an oversized trip one day, then a North Fork Lewis trip the next. If there is a good tide at the mouth of the Lewis we'll hit that too. "Relax 'Til You Drop"

Late June, any time in July would be great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts