IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be spending the week in Lincoln city and plan on trying the Siletz for steelhead. I'll be in my 14ft v bottom so I assume I'll only be able to go up river so far. Could someone give me a tip on how to try for these big guys? I'm new to the Salmon/Steelhead thing and have no idea what type of bait to use. Do I cast? Do I troll? I've heard of "back bouncing" but I don't think I know exactly what that is. I've "bottom bounced" for walleye. Is it the same thing?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Troll big spinners(#5 blue fox, rainbow etc...) between the 101 bridge and the Chinook Bend (mile marker 3)campground. Launch at the Chinook bend campground as they are cheaper than Coyote Rock and have more parking anyway. Good luck! Grant

I just relized that you are targeting Steelhead. In my opinion your time would be better spent chasing the Chinook that are in the area right now. Steelhead are really tough to catch in tidewater and your boat won't work up in the river.

[ 08-02-2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Grant Scheele ]

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I am pumped to give that a river a shot! This forum continues to impress me. My family has a beach house right by there and I can't believe I've yet to fish that river. An old guy I know swears up and down that this time of year you can also fish for perch near the wooden pilars (with sand shrimp). I think they are near the marina. Has anyone heard of this? :cheers:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like I might get lucky. I work with a very nice lady who's son Chris fishes that river alot. I think he may be going the same day I'd planned on (Wed.)It sounds like I MIGHT get to join him but I haven't talked to him yet and I certainly don't want to count my chickens quite yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts