IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've only lived here all my life I figured it was about time to give the Salmon/Steelhead thing a try. Went to Mill City yesterday with a buddy and fished most of the day. He had two on and lost them and we only saw one landed (foul hooked. Two questions please. One is, all the fish we saw swimming/jumping looked VERY Dark (w/white sores. With this run can a guy expect more fresh fish coming in? The other is we tried prawns and spinners. Almost everyone I saw there were using Buzz Bombs. I've only used them for kokanee and have no idea what size/technique to use. Any help would be great! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The fish you saw were most likly the earliest part of the run. they get pretty beat up tryingto cross over Bennet dam which is just above Stayton. There are a lot of fish in the river that are in good shape yet.

Dont use Buzz Bombs on them. The guys that throwing them were trying to snag the fish. Instead, Use good eggs either under a float or drift fished. Also try fresh sandshrimp either alone or whith some eggs.

Fishing this time of the year can by tough. Your best bet is to fish right at day break or right befor dark. Also find some good holes that dont get too much pressure. The more the fish are pressure the less they bite.

Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by billsan:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Originally posted by Damon:
Since I've only lived here all my life I figured it was about time to give the Salmon/Steelhead thing a try. Went to Mill City yesterday with a buddy and fished most of the day. He had two on and lost them and we only saw one landed (foul hooked. Two questions please. One is, all the fish we saw swimming/jumping looked VERY Dark (w/white sores. With this run can a guy expect more fresh fish coming in? The other is we tried prawns and spinners. Almost everyone I saw there were using Buzz Bombs. I've only used them for kokanee and have no idea what size/technique to use. Any help would be great! :cheers:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Salmon and steelhead are able to swim through the diversion dam complex at Stayton freely 3 days per week. Four days per week, they are trapped and damage themselves trying to swim up the cement apron. These damaged fish are the ones you are seeing in slow water, and they are dark with white spots. Most of the fish are in prime condition, but they live in deeper faster water where you don't see them. Bait at sunrise and sunset is the best way to catch them. The steelhead bite is at irregular intervals throughlout the day, and most of the steelhead are in prime shape and will remain so through September. Any jerked lure is probably an attempt at snagging. Be a sport and fish legitimately. There is quite a crowd at Mill City, but there is a great salmon hole at the upper end of Minto park which is good but has fewer anglers. Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In the past I've had good success below Stayton using, get this, Thomas Lures. I try to match the size of the lure with the ammount of water in the river at the time. Silver & bronze have been the best producers. Bi-Mart & Wal Mart & the Sprotsman's Warehouse all carry them. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I was at Mehama yesterday and tried shrimp, both drift and under a float.......then one guy came down to the hole and first cast BANG a nice steelhead. Didnt do anything for the rest of the day, just have to put your time in I guess :smile:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Floated down from Fishermans Bend to Mehama in my toon boat. Water is pretty low. Had to pick it up and carry it over some spots. Hooked up with a nice steelie, but it came off after about 30 seconds....drattttt. Lots of rain and thunder about. Made for a nice float without much traffic. Was nice to see other dedicated fishermen out there in the rain with me.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Some good advice here. In my experience, the fish you can see are the ones that are tired and won't bite, and they're not what you're looking for anyway. Faster, deeper water, particularly at the head of a pool with white water on the top to provide cover for the fish is a good bet.

happybrew

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sure appreciate all the good info. This is an example as to why I don't hesitate to share some of my experiences on this site (even though it's usually re: warmwater fishing).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse carries Amermans Eggs, they are in the little fridge on top of the bait fridge.

I have never used them, but everyone gives them good reviews.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One last Question. We used store bought cured prawns and "eggs" that looked terrible. How does a guy go about finding fresh sand shrimp and salmon eggs? I live in Salem and have not a clue where to look. I've tried Sportman's Warehouse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts