IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here it goes. It's been nearly 2 1/2 years since this happened and I still get the chills. I can at least talk about it without getting emotional. My longtime fishing buddy and I were fishing the Umpqua River below Elkton like we had done many times before. This day turned out to be one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. It was mid December, and like we had done many times before, put the boat in at Scott Creek. The boat we used was a 15ft , with a 15 horse outboard. The river was a little high but not as bad as we had seen in the past. We put in and started out fishing below the ramp. With no luck there we pulled the anchor and headed up stream to try another spot we liked. As we headed up the anchor came loose from the bow and all the rope, along with the float, came out of the boat. As we moved downstream we could see the float bobbing up and down in the current. We decided to come along side and I would grab the float and pull up the anchor. Well, that's when things got hairy. We couldn't see at the time but there was a knot about 20 feet from the end. By the time I noticed the dangling rope behind the float it had already got into the prop. Within a few seconds the motor stopped and we realized we were in trouble. The bow began to swing around and I knew that our only chance was to cut the rope. I looked for the knife but before I could get to it we were now faced with a boat anchored off the stern and in heavy current. The water immediatly started coming over the back and about the time my buddy yelled, the boat start to go down.Within a couple of seconds, completely under the water!! In an instant we were both faced with the possibilty of drowning. Nether of us had a life jacket on and, since it was cold, were wearing our insulated coveralls. I dove in and started to swim towards the bank. I made it to calmer water within a few seconds. When I was able to look back I saw nothing. The boat, my buddy, everything gone. I thought for sure that he was going to drown. I began to pray!! Just then he popped up and right beside him a float cushion came up as well. As he moved down stream quickly I could tell he had no strength to swim to shore. God was watching over us that day because just down stream there were a couple of guys bank fishing. They had a boat and were able to get my buddy out after a minute or two. We lost all of our gear, the motor and the top. Fortunately we were able to recover the boat after a few hours with the help of a friend. It was pretty banged up but repairable. I learned several valuable lessons that day. One, it wasn't either of our times to go yet. Two, I love my family and friends very much. Most importantly, wear a life jacket and there is no anchor in the world worth taking a chance like that. Ever!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
WOW!!!! What a terrifying experience! You certainly were being watched over, and very, very lucky! Don't know if I like reading stories like that, but perhaps it will make an impression on just one person, and save a life. Thanks for the 'goosebumps', and WELCOME! :cheers:

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
I wore my life jacket today! Someone even made fun of me!

I'm glad I did!

I'm getting used to it!
Welcome to ifish, and thank God you are safe!
Jen

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Yikes!! Glad you made it out!

I have a general (low grade) feeling of paranoia when out on the water. Case in point, you had no idea (and no reason to believe) when launching or fishing that a few minutes later you would be scrambling for your lives.

Accidents happen. Preparation and a little luck saves lives. Too bad you can't count on luck.

Welcome to Ifish Mohip. :cheers:

:smile:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
WOW - that's scary! I had a close call like that- a bud threw the anchor to chase an OS Sturgeon I had on. I had not instructed him properly and instead of feeding out the 30 or so feet of rope we had in the boat he tossed the whole works. The little float at the end of the rope (I always used a big float on the anchor and a small one to pick up the end) came floating down the side of the boat in the current. I saw it just as it went by the transom and got sucked around in the eddie behind the boat. The motor was like a magnet and sure enough it got wrapped. We were diving for the knife when the boat turned around and put tension on the rope. I thought sure we were going down. :shocked:
Somebody was looking out for us that day cause what got hung was the little piece of parachute chord I had through the float and tied to the anchor rope- it broke and we floated free.
We were wearing float coats but I didn't feel like testing them out at Bonni in May snow melt flood conditions!!
I wear my Mustang auto now 100% of the time I'm off the dock. I don't care WHO makes fun of me.

·
Premium Member
14,488 Posts
as my dear mother used to say: that's why they call them accidents.

very scary. you were lucky it turned out as well as it did. there are so many ways it could've been worse. i'm glad it didn't!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Glad you're both still with us!! :smile:

Check out my moniker: I'm a small boat guy in a big water world. The lesson, however, is the same:

Buy a comfortable, form-fitting PFD.

Wear it. :rolleyes:

It'll insulate your body and replace whatever coat you would have worn instead. Put a rain jacket over it for wind and/or rain protection and you'll be ver-r-r-y comfortable. (I wear a bright yellow raincoat for maximum big water visibility or a drab green one in small, clear water conditions.)

It's amazing how often those unlikely, almost-impossible "OOPS" things happen in combination, simultaneously.

The PFD, however, 90%-plus of the time, will make the difference between a scary story and an obituary.
:cool:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Mike,

That one still sticks with me too!!!! Welcome to an awesome group of people. Thanks for sharing and reminding us!!!

Kurt

·
Registered
209 Posts
WOW! i would not be the one in that boat on that day! it's great to see that both of you guys made it out ok. Welcome to ifish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
thats the stuff that reminds us of just how fast accidents happen. with no time to react, its always better to be prepared first. life jackets save lives!

·
Registered
254 Posts
welcome, :cheers: WOW! :shocked: scary story!
I try to wear my PFD more and more. It is stories like this that really make me think.
Thank you
tip

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
What a story. :shocked: Glad everyone turned out OK.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mohip Welcome good story. I've Seen it happen before but they went as lucky they both lost. Thats why I always wear the PFD even on a lake . :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts