IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a fair amount of of broken rod talk lately so I thought I'd give some perspective as one who's job is making graphite fishing rod blanks.

The material:
Graphite as used in rod making is strands of material, individual strings layed out across a paper backing in a linier fashion. Added to these thousands of strings is a fiberglass mesh known as scrim. This adds toughness and stability. added to that are thrmoplastic resins that bond all the materials together when molded. graphite in this configuration has all it's strength along it's length. it has NO strength across it's grain.

The process
The graphite is ordered to the manufacturers specs and cut into patterns. The patterns are then ironed onto a tapered steel shaft called a mandrel,then they are rolled onto the mandrel. if the parts are not rolled perfectly straight or pull loose from the mandrle the material will be twisted and because graphite has no strength across the grain the part is very likely to break. we call this a "broken tack".
The part is then wrapped with plastic tape and baked in an oven. after the baking process the mandrel is removed and you have a fihished peice ( after being trimmed)

Graphite breaks under compression. It does not break from being streatched. so when a rod that has a bend in it breaks it always breaks on the inside of the curve, as that is the part being compressed. This is what happens whn a rod explodes. The break will usually have lots of fibers. These kinds of breaks usually indicate that the angler was the cause of the break by putting to much heat on a fish or snag.

If a rod gets struck by an object and breaks it's because again the graphite has no strength across the grain. Thes breaks are usually pretty clean, not always straight across but just a clean break not many fibers. However a rod can get struck and then break later as a result such breaks will have a clean side where the impact was and a very fibery break on the opposite side.

If a rod breaks while casting ( fly rods usually) and there was no aparent damage before it's likely to have been a broken tack that didn't get caught by the manufacturer ( very rare)
Another common break is breakage on the male end of a ferrule. This happens when the parts of the rod are not properly seated together. If the parts fit loosly it creates pressure pointsin both ends of the ferrule instead of even pressure through the ferrule. Because the female end of the ferrule is reinforced with an additional piece of graphite it is the pressure point on the male end that causes the breakage. these breaks are usually clean like and impact break.

Now I wanna say this as nicely as I can because I am not trying to offend anyone but with how I see people treat their rods when I am out fishing I constantly marvel an the engineering involved in the making of rods. In general the anglers I see, particularly with salmon, put WAY too much pressure on fish and snags both and commonly use mono or braid that is too heavy for their rod.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
one break description that i didn't read was when a rod folds over.

Both pieces stay joined together but there is a crease where it folded over breaking and crushing the fibers. happened last year on a rogue rod I was using while in a hook set bobber fishing using mono less than the rod was rated. after bringing it in they said the rod was weak due to not enough meaterial on one side of the blank and replaced it.

Is this problem true? other theories as to what would make this happen? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Rob,

Good post. I've broken several rods and it was not from bad workmanship.
I am guilty of having spin and drift rods bouncing around in the back of the truck.
All it takes is one bang from something and the fibers are broken.
You go to do a hookset or cast and it snaps.
I've taken my Lamis' up to Woodland and told them what happened and let them know it was MY fault.
Half the time I get a replacement at no charge because they are happy to have someone who is not trying to get a freebie.
I'm happy to pay $22 for a new rod section if it will get me fishing again FAST!
As to the other topic regarding Lamiglas' customer service I've found it always to be top-notch.
John Posey rarely works the returns booth and I have dealt with him many times for other stuff.
He has been nothing but professional with me.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The rod I broke was from sliding my hand up the rod to get a little more lift at the moment of netting the fish. BAM! Broke right where my hand was. DOH! Don't do that. Fortunately, it was an economical Shakespeare casting rod and not one of my own handmade Sage fly rods. I think I learned that lesson.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Thought this thread would get a lot more play. Great info. I see a ton of abuse of rods (mostly my own :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
My 8 foot rods will barely NOT fit into the cabin of my boat. I have to stick the tip in the furthest front end of the bow and store the rod with a little bend in it.

Is this not a good thing?

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
Rob,

Great thread. Great info.

I have broken rods in pretty much every way possible. One was not my fault( most likely it was struck by an object like you describe). The rest were. Except for the 2 that the dog stepped on. Those were his fault.

Never broke a flyrod( but I am still young enough that I should do at least 2 before they bury me). Everyone should have their goals. JK.

Lami has been very good to me. Even when it was very clearly my screw up. They replaced one rod( or pieces of it at least) 3 times. I got the talk twice. I lived thru it to fish again.

You have to work very hard to break a rod in my experience. If you don't know it is coming the first time, you should the second.

Mark and the 2 step, 2 rods program dog.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I have told this story before but for those of you that may have missed it:

Back when The Guide Shack was a shack, many years ago, a custom rod builder had some rods there to sell on consignment. I went in early one morning to get some bait. I guy and his son were ahead of me waiting to pay for some sand shrimp. A college aged guy was working the counter and demonstrating a beautiful custom rod (it was wrapped in a butterscotch plaid pattern and very nice).

The college kid had ahold of the rod by the butt and the tip. He had the tip bent around to nearly touch the butt and was working the rod back and forth. As he bent the rod and in a complete circle, the middle of the rod touched the rafter above his head. Ka-boom the rod exploded as the perfect curve was broken with pieces coming down all over the counter.

I could not believe the look on the kid's face. "I'll just take the shrimp" the guy ahead of me said. D'OH!

[ 11-10-2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great story crabbait :smile:

Phil although not common graphite rods stored with a bend in them can take a set.. It shouldn't weaken the rod but it could put a permanent bend in it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Fshklr,

Yes that can happen to a rod. when the rod is sanded down after being baked sometimes the machine will take a little bit to much material away and thats what caused your problem. It happens to all rod manufatures.

eggbouncer

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have seen alot of people high stick
(straight up in the air) there rods and "POW". It is ok to keep the tip up, but not the Antenna Mode. :hoboy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts