IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for tuning in. Considering buying a boat with brother to take our kids out on Lake Merwin, Yale Lake, Washington State, etc. Interested in a fish/ride boat, maybe like this one... if we can afford it.
Opinions welcome, other reccos appreciated.
1st question: does this boat make sense for these bodies of water? Some fishing, some cruising...
2nd question: I'vee read about wind getting uppity on Merwin... assuming that's not the norm, and by checking reports you can avoid it? Will be a new captain...Prefer glassy days, assuming much of summer?
Appreciate your wisdom!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Sorry Tiago, that's not a fishing boat. Sure you can throw a line over the side and say we are fishing, but :ROFLMAO:.
If you want a boat to get the family out on a sunny, hot day, that boat would work just fine. There are a lot of boats like that on Merwin & Yale. They are pulling skiers.
If you want a boat that will do both, you may need to give up some of the vinyl comfortable seats, and open it up for the bloody, slimy fish. Not to mention the fish hooks stuck in the $2000, vinyl seats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Tiago, that's not a fishing boat. Sure you can throw a line over the side and say we are fishing, but :ROFLMAO:.
If you want a boat to get the family out on a sunny, hot day, that boat would work just fine. There are a lot of boats like that on Merwin & Yale. They are pulling skiers.
If you want a boat that will do both, you may need to give up some of the vinyl comfortable seats, and open it up for the bloody, slimy fish. Not to mention the fish hooks stuck in the $2000, vinyl seats.
Thanks! Totally appreciate this answer Honker1. Any knowledge of a boat brand that might be better suited for both? Also, any wisdom on the wind factor? ie- are there plenty enough still glassy days to be had if you pay attention to wind reports?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for tuning in. Considering buying a boat with brother to take our kids out on Lake Merwin, Yale Lake, Washington State, etc. Interested in a fish/ride boat, maybe like this one... if we can afford it.
Opinions welcome, other reccos appreciated.
1st question: does this boat make sense for these bodies of water? Some fishing, some cruising...
2nd question: I'vee read about wind getting uppity on Merwin... assuming that's not the norm, and by checking reports you can avoid it? Will be a new captain...Prefer glassy days, assuming much of summer?
Appreciate your wisdom!
As already stated, that boat would not be a good fit for fishing at Merwin. If you are looking for something a bit more "dual-purpose" that can be comfortable to take out when not fishing but will have no problem being loaded up with downriggers and rods, I would recommend looking into a Lund. For Kokanee fishing, you want to have plenty of gunwale space for rod holders and downriggers, plus a decent fish finder is a MUST.

Even on windy days, Merwin will typically be glass in the early hours. In the evenings, especially when the weather warms up and more recreaters get out there, the water can be a bit choppier for a smaller boat. I would just suggest checking the wind report before going. I typically don't like to fish Merwin if the wind gets up past 7mph or so.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You can have a fishing boat that's pretty adaptable to cruising and be "duel purpose" but it might be hard to make a fishing boat out of some pleasure boats, for many of the reasons listed above. Yale and Merwin are primarily trolling fisheries so you probably wouldn't want to try and troll with your main motor because you need to keep your boat slow enough for whatever fishery your at and that's harder to do with a bigger main motor so consider something that you can put a trolling motor on the back or electric motor on the bow. No matter what you get just watch the wind reports cuz it can and will get nasty. For me it's not so much a danger thing as a comfort thing. I don't have suspension seats and it don't matter if you're going back to the dock fast or slow, it can be very hard on the body. The boat also

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I agree with the others. The boat you suggested is not much for fishing; but you can cruise in a boat designed and set up better for fishing.
Have you actually gone out to those lakes and look at the boats people are using? Go and talk to the owners about their boats. Most fishermen are happy to talk about their boats.
You will find most are aluminum and the average size today is 18 to 22 feet; although in the past 12 to 16 was more common and some people still use them. Most have two motors. One for travel (50 to 150 horse power) and one for fishing (trolling slowly) (8 to 15 hp). Boats set up like this can handle wind up to about 10-15 mph and waves to 2 feet or so.....but you can't fish in those conditions so the safety consideration here is can you get back to the dock when the wind comes up. Other safety considerations are the boats weight/passenger capacity. How many people do you expect to have in the boat? Will protection from the elements, sun/rain, be important.
Finally there are the accessories that go with a fishing/cruising boat. They can get expensive, especially the electronics and things like down riggers. If the boat is co-owned how will it be registered and insured? Who will maintain and store it? Don't forget that the "captain" will have to have a boat operators license (Education card in WA).
Hopefully this will get you thinking about the functions and responsibilities of owning a boat.
Boat US organization has a lot of great info including online classes on boating safety and operation. State Specific Boating Safety Courses

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, so many thoughtful, helpful posts. Given me a lot to think about, so, thanks all. I never assume anything and don't jump into these things without getting smart first, and you're all helping me at the beginning of that journey.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mini mini years ago I bought a ski boat thinking I could fish out of it as well not so much it was an 18 foot sea ray runabout great boat I loved it. I have a 20 foot stryker that I can do anything I want with. If I wanted to pull skiers I could I haven’t yet but I could. Gl 😉🥃🇺🇸

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Mini mini years ago I bought a ski boat thinking I could fish out of it as well not so much it was an 18 foot sea ray runabout great boat I loved it. I have a 20 foot stryker that I can do anything I want with. If I wanted to pull skiers I could I haven’t yet but I could. Gl 😉🥃🇺🇸
Vote 2 for the Stryker. It handles a lot of jobs with safety and comfort. Best money I ever spent was a pneumatic seat for the driver. Passengers can sit a little further aft for more comfort but the guy at the wheel deserves the BEST! I added the swim platform with the extendable ladder. I don't know how "fat boy" would ever get back in without it if I took a tumble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts