IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario: My dad loves to fish, and loves even more to catch 'em, but he is the unluckiest guy there is when fishing on my boat in the lower Columbia. He can sit all day doing nothing, while poles on both sides catch sturgeon, and he had almost given up on the salmon. He is getting old enough (79) that his reaction time is slowing, and his skills are being somewhat forgotten. He has this old clunker of a fish pole that he won't replace, although I did finally get him to accept a new reel for it as a gift. But he likes his tree trunk fish pole. He's also stubborn, and doesn't want his kid telling him how to fish. I have tried several times this season to get him down to Warrenton for river salmon, but he always had some excuse. The real reason for him not making it has been because the last several times he only caught fish when someone else handed him the hooked pole.

Fast forward to today. My brother-in-law was planning to come down from Portland to go fishing with me, and he pretty much told dad that he was going too. Out we went in the fog this morning, and I rigged dad up with my favorite diver and lucky spinner. I told him to watch close, because the rigging was hot. Well, he hooked the first four fish. The first one was a good size native we had to release. The second was a decent silver with no fin. Maybe 15 minutes later, he hooks another. It was a doozy silver that was probably 15 pounds even without that fin. Now he has two fish tagged, and neither of the others on board had a hit. All dad needed was the one chinook he's allowed, and it is perfection. Maybe twenty minutes pass, and - bang - he gets another. When it comes to the top, sure as the dickens, it is a great looking nook that would go maybe 30 pounds. The fish took a couple more runs, and the next time up dad sailed it perfectly into the net. That's it. He's tagged out and fishing for the boat. I took the lucky gear away from him (mistake) and gave it to my bro-in-law to use. An hour or so later, the bro gets one nice silver with it, and then nobody gets anything for another hour. They had to drive back home, so we called it a fishing trip and headed back to the dock with four in the box, one happy old guy, and one proud kid.

I didn't catch a fish today, and it was still the best fishing I've had in years. And now old dad says he thinks he can make it down Monday, and next weekend for sure!

Mike

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Graet story. Now you won't hear the end of it. Hopefully today has revived his fish sprits. Nothig better then spending the day fishing with your dad.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Good story and congratulations to your dad on punching out, maybe he is starting a new streak... a catching one! :cheers:

I think when you go out salmon fishing its nice if everyone on the boat catches fish but I view it as more of a team sport with the netting and all. If you go out and put fish in the boat I would take that success every time. :grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts