IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through a few old posts I felt the need to share a story of mine in regards to an experience that will forever convince me that no matter what, there are always a few overly kind people out there and if you're lucky, they'll be around when you make a fool of yourself.
I invited my father and step mother over for a salmon trip in my new drift boat. The fishing was less than fast paced and by mid day we had decided to take out and go get some lunch. I dropped them off near where they had parked that morning and continued down to the boat ramp. As I was taking my boat out, a man and woman sat near the ramp fishing for trout. They cheerfully shared fishing stories with me and commented on the appearance of my boat, to which I thanked them, explaining I had just saved up enough (who needs tuition money?) to purchase it. After finally getting the boat on the trailer, I bid them farewell and wished them good luck. Little did I notice that while loading the boat, I had taken my new Cataract Oars, 3 Lamiglas Certified Pro Rods w/ new Abu's on them and placed them off to the side of the ramp next to a tree
. The ramp was a rough one and I didn't want oars, rods and everything else banging around on each other on the way up.
Later that afternoon (approx. 4 hours later) I went to wash out the inside of the boat and noticed that my oars were missing. My mind snapped into instant panic mode since the oars cost more than my rent donw here at good ol' OSU. I jumped into my truck to drive back to the river (45 min.) in hopes that they may still be there (wishful thinking at this point). Once I started my truck, I also noticed that there weren't any rods in the passenger seat where they should be. Now I really felt sick to my stomach. How could I be so foolish as to leave everything there! My hopes were fading fast, there were at least 10 other boats on the river with me that morning, I was certain that at least one of them would like a few new rods and oars. :hoboy: As I drove to the river, I tried to think of a way to justify buying all new gear when my tuition bill was sittin at home on my desk. I stopped by a small store near the river to see if anyone had said anything about finding my gear. As I walked in, the clerk said that someone had left a present for me. I was floored, I couldn't believe it had been turned in. After I left, the guy and his wife(?) had found my gear, and had stopped by the store for snacks. They saw my picture next to the cash register of the fish I had caught that morning and told the clerk that I had left my gear by the boat ramp. The clerk, knowing me, said it couldn't be mine, I'm usually more together than that. None the less, the two swore it was my gear and offered to leave if for me (they admitted they wouln't have told anyone until they saw my picture). They said I sounded and acted like a nice person and that I had good fishing Karma and DESERVED to get my stuff back! WOW! Anyway, I got it all back and contacted the man and have since started building him a custom ultra light trout rod as a thank you.
Moral of the story: Take a few extra seconds to make sure you have all your gear, don't instantly lose hope, and never doubt the kindness of others. And in case you ever meet him, Mark Herting of Albany is as quality a fisherman as you'd ever hope to meet! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Great story. Anybody that finds stuff and thinks its ok to keep it is wrong. WWJD? Well he'd probably fish with your gear for awhile, but then he'd certainly give it back.

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are a few good people left! What a stroke of luck with your picture being posted at the store!

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
There are LOTS of good people out there, and I should know, I've been helped enough times to put the test to it. It is by their example that the rest of us often rise to the occasion as well.

Kudos - to you for the story, and to them as examples of how it ought to be. :cheers:

Skein

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
T_T That's a great story with things for us all to be reminded of. I put a lot of credence in the expression "that which goes around, comes around." Great character was shown by the couple turning in the left-behind-gear, but I suspect that you are a pretty decent individual yourself. I like to think that the car prowler thieves and people who generally act as though it is their first day on the planet, don't experience the good karma yet, as you did that day. Fortunately, most of us get it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts