IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the archives for the info (which I'm sure has been discussed)and can't find it. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I was under the impression, and have heard others mention it, that salmon do not feed once they migrate into freshwaters. If that's true, why is lure selection so important and why is the use of scent almost mandatory? I understand fish have a great sense of smell and human scent puts them off, but are they actually attracted to the food scent?
If the salmon are just hitting a flashy piece of metal because it irritates them, why wouldn't a piece of tin cut from a coffe can with a hook attached it to work as well as a $10 Alvin with chartruese tip?

That being said, I see lures in the store very similar to Alvins/Brads that are 25%-50% cheaper. Yet in the hundreds of threads I've read I never see them mentioned. Is there really that much difference, or does everybody use the expensive ones because everybody else does, too? Is there anybody that has kept any data on what works and what doesn't? (please tell me they work, I bought three the other day) I saw the thread about catching steelhead on what seemed like anything, including garbonzo beans.

Thanks for the patience and answers.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I think you are asking one of those questions with no real answer.
Humans really cant think like a fish, and therfore cant answer the question, only a fish could tell you what makes him bite.
It surely isnt the name on the spinner. id. p.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Good questions!. It's true that Salmon quit feeding in fresh water (Steelhead sometimes do)
There are many theories about why they take bait or lures. The only one that makes sense to me is that prior to entering fresh water to spawn they WERE predatory feeders. I believe the instinct remains and when you put a bait or lure close enough to their face, some will bite.

Concerning expensive lures vs. inexpensive...fishermen use what they have confidence in. Confidence is created by experience and marketing. Answer is...many of the inexpensive lures will probably work...but will probably never be used as much as proven lures and baits. Salmon and Steelhead fishermen are like poker players...always looking for that subtle angle that "makes all the difference". Because of this, bait and lure selection has taken on an almost mystic quality.

I know that the longer I have fished, the more ways I have found to catch them, and things that I used to believe were axioms (such as Salmon are always on the bottom of the river) have proved to be generalities.

If you think something might work...try it

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Actually the piece of tin with the hook does work! I remember one of my uncles telling me many moons ago about using an old pre aluminum coke can for just such a purpose. He said he caught many Salmon with with them off the jetty in Newport. Fishft.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I believe that Grantspastor hit it just right. They WERE predatory animals prior to entering freshwater. The use of scent, I believe stimulates this instict and helps trigger them to bite. I mean, we're talking about sensory organs in a fish that can smell parts per billion here, and there is an evolutionary reason for that, that they are predatory animals. I believe that bombarding that sensitive of an organ with good scent can many times brings that predatory instict that has been suppressed to the surface. That's why Amerman's eggs and Marie's shrimp scent work soooo well!!! :grin:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think your point is well taken on the Alvin vs the Brads IF both were chrome with a char tip. (and if they were both tuned properly). However, chorme, nickle, and ture silver plate all reflect light differently. Alvins come in all of the these. Brads, I belive, are only chrome. So, if the lure finnish is different and the color is the same there would be a difference in how the lure appears to the fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts