IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple big tug lings that came into Depoe Bay tonight about 8:00PM. The larger one was probably 30+ lbs. Nice ocean and weather.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Man those are some ugleeee fish. What's the recipe for catching them? Bait? Hardware? Close to the bottom?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Dan,
that picture of those big monsters brings back some good memories of fishing out of Depoe growing up. Used to hang out with a few of the locals, Brad Haight and CA white. Many good memories.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FW,

Yea, close to the bottom or right on the bottom. You loose a lot of gear if you are specificly targeting Lings. In deeper water a torpedo sinker with a treble or double hook seems to catch as good as anything including a live greenling or small rockfish. Shallow water big plastics work real well. Off the rocks plastics or herring, octopus, or squid all work real well.

Kevin,

Don't know who Ca White is but Brad lives accross the street from me and him and his dad are charter boat captains. Brad is good people and a bit free spirited. His dad's boat is named after himself, Mr. Max.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Hey Dan, what is the weather forecast for Friday over there?? Seas and swells going to be OK for getting down on the rocks?
thanks

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
allright....I`m drooling here. thanks for the pics. sure miss the ocean fishing, live too far to just head out for the day like I used to. your lucky to live there.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Nice Fish!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Wow, nice and big like the good old days. I agree with Sore Back some of the best eatin fish in the world.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
DBD,

New idea, you book a trip in June and I will be there. Give me a call or email, lets make this happen.

Rusty

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fish_N_Russ,

Been real busy pouring halibut leads (48oz. cannonballs) all day. That time of the year!

Wished I could go fishing with you this weekend but I have to deliver these leads in Depoe Bay tomorrow morning to a charter boat and deliver to the local store in the AM and then off to Longview. Was suppose to be up in Longview tonight and fish springers in the morning but got behind. Brad and his friend limited on springers today and I should be catching some in the morning, but... :depressed:

The forecast for Friday through Tuesday is below and looks real good for Friday & Saturday and iffy on Sunday.

If you need some pointers where to fish around here let me know and I will try to post late tonight. I posted an article about rockfishing that I did for The Local fisherman on ifish when I first became a member a couple months ago. You might do a search on rockfishing or surf fishing and you might find it. I don't know if it is one that has specifics on Depoe Bay or not. I did one on Depoe Bay with Pat Hoaglund (Fishing & Hunting News) a few years ago on the Depoe Bay area and will see if I can find that one later.

Back to pouring lead.

Dang it, wished I could fish with you, but have to deliver in Longview tomorrow afternoon. Might have a real experienced friend from Willamina fishing the rocks and could set you up with him.

Dan

Coastal Waters From Cape Shoalwater Washington To Florence Oregon

And Westward 60 Nm

Small Craft Advisory Cascade Head to Florence
Tonight
N wind 20 kt except N wind 25 kt south of Cascade Head...then easing to 15 kt after midnight. Wind waves 5 ft. N swell 5 ft at 15 seconds.
Fri
NW wind 15 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 5 ft at 5 seconds.
Fri Night
NW wind 15 kt...becoming W 10 kt after midnight. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 5 ft at 6 seconds. Chance of showers.
Sat
SW wind 20 kt. Wind waves 4 ft. W swell 3 ft. Showers.
Sat Night
SW wind 20 kt. Wind waves 4 ft. SW swell 5 ft. Showers.
Sun
SW wind 15 kt. Wind waves 4 ft. W swell 7 ft. Showers.
Mon
S wind 15 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. W swell 7 ft.
Tue
SW wind 10 kt...becoming NW 15 kt early in the afternoon. Wind waves 4 ft. W swell 4 ft.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Dan,
Thanks for the info.........no prob on being busy. I think im just going to dink around in Newport with the wife anyway...maybe do some crabbing off the docks, fishing off of the south jetty etc etc. I have relatives that live in both Willamina and Sheridan.....might know your friend if he's been around there a while
Russ

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Russ, fish Depoe if you have the opportunity. It is generally better and produces bigger fish on average. (Open ocean).

I called my friend tonight and he will be there tomorrow. Look for a green metro and a big guy named Ron. He is a retired school teacher from Willamina and a very experienced and good "rockfisherman".

He's going to meet me in Longview Saturday for some springer lessons.

Chow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts