IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this with trepidation, as I have followed the threads on the subject.....here goes.

Where is it? I have a faily detailed map of OR but can't find 90% of the places you guys talk about. I have been fishing for steelhead/salmon since Jan (mostly in the Sandy) and have not had so much as a nibble. I have learned a heck of a lot from this board and others, and from talking to other anglers, but I can't seem to find any fish. From the sounds of it, I may get one at Cedar Creek. I'm not real familiar with the area, so failry detailed directions would be nice.

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cedar creek is a tributary of the Sandy River. Take hyway 26 east from Gresham approx 9 miles to the town of Sandy. go to the last stop light on the east end of Sandy. At the last stop light turn left on Ten Eyck Road. Travel approx 1 1/2 miles to Salmon Hatchery Road. Turn left on Salmon Hatchery Road and go till you reach the Hatchery. Park and walk the trail to the Sandy river where you will find lots of people.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info....I know the controversy surrounding this area, but I'm tired of catching 8" mushy trout

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
some people around here get all holier then thou....cedar creek is where fish stack up....any place fish stack up that boats cant go gets a bad rap here.....some people do abuse the priviledge of fishing ....others fish and follow the rules....i am all for anyone catching fish....."legally"......i could careless the technique u or anyone else uses....a fair caught fish is a fair caught fish....period.......so dont let the loud yellers make to much noise....follow the rules and catch fish....have fun with it.....isnt that what its all about?.....

when u go to cedar creek make sure u take chest waders.....grab a walking stick for crossing the river...you'll need at least a 4-5' stick....take bobbers and eggs shrimp.....and dont forget a few jigs and spinners.....

[ 06-03-2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
Cedar creek is also a ributary of three rivers. And also Could be a Tirb of the NFL

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it a requirment to cross the river? All I have are hip waders. any info on the spot is appreciated

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the Sandy is low such as summer and fall, you can cross it above Cedar Creek with waders. Never done it in winter or spring, though.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Over 50 vehicles in the lot today, overflow conditions.
Me and a buddy FF'd for steelhead a ways above the crowd, did not hook up but I sure was happy not to be down in the zoo below, it looked worse than Silver season !!!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
50 cars on a Tuesday? I was thinking of going on Thursday, but guess I'll go the coast and fish off the rocks. I'll try CC when there's fewer people....thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
DJ took me to this hole in the early to mid 90s and we rarely saw a sole. It was great fishing and very peacefull.

So, I was excited when my friend called me up and asked if I could show him how to fish Cedar Creek.
We went on sunday and I was very suprized to see 60+ people fishing from the head of the hole down to the bend. We still had a great time and spoke to a lot of nice individuals. We were also able to put some more meat in the freezer :grin:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wannacatchem,
No, you don't have to cross the river but by doing so you will be able to fish a lot more places. I'd guess it would open up about 3/4 mile of river by being able to cross. On a crowded day that might be a good idea. But yes, you can fish there without crossing. When you're walking down the road past the hatchery you'll see pastureland to the right and maybe a view of Mt. Hood. Once in the wooded area where the old parking lot used to be (before vandalism and litter prompted it's closure) you'll pass the yellow gate that used to be open (believe it or not, fishermen in four wheel drives used to drive down that road.) At the bottom of the grade past that yellow gate, the main trail will flatten out and turn to the left. At the point it turns to the left, look carefully to the right. There is a trail that still may be partially obscured by a small tree that had fallen across it. You can duck under this tree and take this trail about 1/4 mile to the river, then fish from there to the mouth of Cedar Creek. Lot's of luck. Let us know how you do.

P.S. If they're in your budget you might consider neoprenes ,if for no other reason, safety. I believe G.I. Joes has stockingfoot waders on sale for 39.99. Pick up some Amermans while you're there and you'll be well equiped.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
If you are at Cedar Cr. use the Marmot gage
Marmot gage

During periods of time when water levels may fluctuate a lot you may find using the gage height(in feet) on the Bullrun gage will not be the best way to get an idea of the flow at Cedar Cr.
I converted to thinking in terms of cfs instead of feet years ago, you can really nail stuff down for high/low water fishing and safely wading tricky spots.
That spot where the guys are crossing below CC would be a cakewalk right now even for little guys.
I don't fish down there when it is crowded but early in the season I think I cut-off wading that lower channel about 1600-1800cfs. I won't do it at all if it is raining or they are flushing silt up at the dam.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts