IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you would have asked my 8 year old this morning what was his best day fishing, he probably rattle off, his first salmon, his first steelhead or the numerous trout and bass he has caught over the last few years of fishing.

Well today was a horse of an entirely different color. :wink:

About two weeks ago, I posted a topic on Salmon/Steelhead spinners and got some great responses. Specifically Scott, from Get Bent gave me some very specific details about two spinners that had "proven" fish catching ability. I must admit I chose to buy another tackle company's 'off the shelf' spinners that most closely matched the description Scott gave me. (See below for lesson learned.)

Well today was the first day that I had seriously had the chance to try using the spinners. I checked the tides this afternoon and saw there was going to be a decent run out until dark and got the kitchen pass to take my 8 year old out for a sunset cruise. We got anchored up at one of my favorite spots off Govt Isl around 630pm. Set up my dropper to about 2.5' and leader at 4' as recommended by the pros. Juiced it up with some Anise and WD40 and sent it to the bottom. My son and were a yappin' about the things that occupy an 8 year old mind. (like "what if I catch a 100#'r? or "how much would a salmon weigh if it was 10' long? :wink: )

You guessed...BAMM! Fish ON! I grab the rod, make sure the hooks are in, and hand it off as my son is now drooling on my feet begging for the rod. With him on board, I decided to stay on anchor to keep things simple. After a solid fight, we had a nice ~20# next to the boat. DOING one too many fins. Back it went and out go the rods, with the other recommened spinner now running on rod #2.

45 minutes later....BAMM! Fish ON! Same spinner. Instant replay and my feet are now covered in drool again. Rod in hand, my boy is putting on a pretty good show for the boats around us. The spreader comes out of the water after 5 minutes and POP, the fish is gone. (I am now scratching my head). Remember I said I bought spinner 'like' the ones Scott recommended...? Well all that glitters is not gold. Two of the trebles were almost flattened out. :shocked:

So I scratch my head some more and decide to 'fix' the hooks and give it another go.

45 minutes later....BAMM! Fish ON! (You know how this goes. ) This time on the other spinner 'like' the one Scott recommended. Another good fight and another 'wild' fish at the boat. After pulling the hooks and releasing the fish, I look at the treble. The the points are TWISTED at the shank!

So here are the lesson's learned today.
Lesson #1: Scott from Get Bent knows what he is talking about. When he makes a recommendation, be sure to follow it COMPLETELY! :wink: Including hooks.

Lesson #2: See number 1

Lesson #3: Be sure to fire up the bilge pump when my son knows the rod is coming his way. :wink:

In all seriousness, thank you Scott, ******, and others who offered recommendations on colors, and leader/dropper lengths, etc. You made my son believe he is the best salmon fisherman in the world, and made Dad very happy and very proud.
:grin:

[ 07-07-2003, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Lured In ]

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with the thanks to all mentioned. If it weren't for that thread I wouldn't have tried a spinner I had for 20 years and never took out of the original package it came in. Yesterday I tried it out of frustration and 45 mins. later bang, my first summer salmon.
My first summer salmon

It had similar colors to what was recommended on the thread. I had problems to. One of the hooks broke off during the fight. When we got the fish in the boat there were only 2 hooks left on the treble. There was a bloody spot on the upper jaw where the third hook must have stuck but that 25 lber broke it right off. I had contacted Get Bent about his spinners but I knew I wouldn't be able to get any before going out last weekend. You can bet I am going to buy some from him now.

Thanks again for all the tips and tricks people post on ifish. It helped me catch my first sping and summer salmon. Please keep on posting the helpful hints, tips and tricks. I do enjoy seeing the fish pics and reading the great stories also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great Story. :smile: While I normally just lurk, its nice to see the information on spinner fishing that has been shared recently on IFish. Guys like ****** and get bent have forgotten more about fishing than most of us will learn in our lifetimes. It pays to listen to the advice these guys are providing. :cheers:

TD

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Lured In,

The kid must think you really know how what you are doing <grin>. I love the Yamaha ad "At some point, your kids will stop thinking you are the coolest person alive. Until then, make sure you live up to it."

I think the loss of fish and hook straightening is due to not coming off anchor. I lost one and got two (but the spinners and hooks were bent) when I didn't come off anchor.

Landed the 27 lber when I came off anchor.

I think the 1-2 mph current plus a big fish gives it leverage when it gets sideways and goes for it.

Brion

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brion there is no question that certainly contributes to the force on the hooks. Regardless, I still don't like to see hooks do that. :wink:

I just finished installing size 2 VMC bronze trebles and also emailed Scott so I can order the real deal. :grin:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
VMC is made by the French. What the heck do they know about hooks? Go with Gammies or Owners.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by FEAR NO FISH!:
VMC is made by the French. What the heck do they know about hooks?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Obviously they have no fish in the rivers in France, and if they do, they probably use paperclips on their K13 :rolleyes:

VMC hooks have their good and bad qualities, just like any other hook on the market. Personally, I only like Owners for my hot shots,Gammis for drift fishing or siwash spinner hooks, and use VMC on all my Alvins, saltwater spinners, freshwater spinners, wiggle warts, tadpollies, etc...

They hook and hold fish just fine for me :grin:

Chris :cool:

[ 07-08-2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: FWF1 ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Steve is right! Gammies for me. Haven't straightened one out enough to loose a fish in years. Ive had them bend, but not break... :cheers:

Congrats on the awesome evening on the water. Kids landing fish are the best :grin:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Lured in glad i could help glad to see you are a dad that hands his rod to his kids theres nothing better than watching a kid fight a fish and [drooling]

there is nothing wrong with vmc hooks but i would stick with bronze remember every hook that has a plating or a color they start bronze and then go thru 1 to 3 platings and heat which makes them dull, brittel or soft perma steel hooks are corosion resistant and put out less elec curent but you can break or straighten them rite now im in the middle of a big order for sportsmans but i will do what i can for you thanks for the good words :bowdown:

fear no fish keep your gamis i wont waste my money
if i built my spinners with those only you could aford them and that boat [brand x] you are looking at STAY EAST YOUNG MAN :grin: :tongue:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sorry Scott,
I didn't know you were building your spinners with those less than adequate frenchy hooks. :laugh: So did you tie any of your spinners with the glow in the dark gammies I gave you? See you on the water soon. :grin: Get outa my hole! :tongue: :grin:

·
Registered
993 Posts
are you kidding ****** took those by the way we dont need ne glow in the dark hooks and you just stay east of the dam
:laugh:
:laugh:
:grin:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Scott,
You might want to make up some of your spinners with Northland Buckshot rattle beads.
It does give the spinner a little different noise. Don't write off those glow hooks. They do work. You could be the only spinner maker utilizing those. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I am always looking for an edge when it comes to fishing. You are a spinner master! I did enjoy fishing next to you. Can't wait to see you on the water again. Momma is making me stay home this weekend. :depressed: See ya next weekend. :dance:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I wasn't the one driving that boat. Hogmaster was.
I'm thinking of installing tires all around my boat! Son, he can fit a boat in a shoebox. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
******- those aren't tires, they're Claymores!

:shocked: :grin: :wink:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Is that you and Get Sprung on the fourth boat over? :cheers:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts