IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting worried. If these rains don't bring in the fish in Tillamook, will there be a good run? Remember, we had a flood at Thanksgiving in in 99.
That would affect the Oct, and perhaps even the November four year olds.

I keep hearing days of 10 fish or so caught at the ghost hole. That is unusual for this time of year! We should be putting the hurt on them by now!

Jen

[ 10-11-2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Jennie I haven't heard of many big fish being caught this year. I think your my be right. Even the silver haven't shown up in the normal numbers.

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:depressed: Bill and I were talking about it while we went mushroom hunting today. Depressing conversation. I love this time of year! Mushrooms! Squash fresh from the garden, and SALMON! But where are the big ones?

They are just not here in numbers. Sad... The Columbia got a great run, but... the Nehalem should have been affected by the floods too, right? They seem to be in good! ??? Don't they? Of course, they have that odd late summer run, so I'm never sure which is the Fall and which is the summers.

Jen

[ 10-11-2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If you watch the doppler radar you can see that quite often Clatsop County gets alot more rain than other regions of our state.

[ 10-12-2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: BUGLEMAN ]

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Every year that there is a flood, we hear all these people who are worried about how no fish will come back. Like in 96 and now everyone is talking about 99.

This just doesn't make sense. First off rivers like the Trask, Salmon and any other river with a hatchery run had the same release those years of the floods as they did on no flood years. So if let's say all the wild fish died in the flood, then those fish that are released by the hatcheries would have little competition for food, the food sources would flourish, the predators would die off due to lack of smoltz to eat and those hatchery fish would have a higher percentage return. These fish would flourish because of these factors, and we would see rivers with hatchery runs having great returns, and the rivers with just native runs really suffering. But that's just not how it has shown itself. In the return year of the '96 flood everyone complained about how the flood killed all the fish and that was why fishing sucked, but the hatchery return on the Trask was barely large enough for egg take. Yet rivers like the Wilson, Nehalem, Nestucca and Siletz that had only native runs had good returns that year. We had one of the best years ( for numbers of fish caught by the Amerman Guides) on the return year of the '96 flood, and we fished only non-hatchery streams that year.

This year has been no different. Maybe there are some other factors at work here as to why the fish are not coming in strong. I know the food source has been really high out in the ocean. I think this has kept the fish out longer and made some runs a little late. Maybe some areas have just been overfished for too many years. There are lots of fish being caught in a lot of streams all across Oregon. Maybe it's time to try to find some real answers.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Floods do have a major impact on returns. Mainstem spawners are hurt much more than tributary spawners.
During the 60's and 70's when our rains came with greater predictability in Sept.and October our early spawners made up the majority of the return.With the Indian Summer droughts of the last 20 years we have seen the returns appear to be greater in the latter stages of the Fall. In the 70's many recognized the frality of the late November and Dec.Chinook runs and as guides we would not fish on those late stocks. Now those late return fish are being targeted with great results for anglers.The early fall fish on the north coast are a pittance of what they were just 20 years ago. Keep targeting those late fish and soon they will go the way of the early North coast kings.If you fish the upper ends of the N coast rivers you will seee there have been very few spawnere the last few years. I have been doing a red count on a couple of streams for over 25 years and I can tell you the early and late fish are in BIG TROUBLE in Tillamook Bay Streams.
The Good news is that the regionsl Bio claims their indicator stream is producing near capacity Chinook production. What they don't tell you is that their indicator stream has almost no access or fishing pressure. Yes the habitat is good but they ( ODF&W ) are basing their management plans on the results they get from a stream that is nontypical of the T Bay watershed. It's time to ban the killing of hens in Tillamook.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Amerman: In 99, I think the Salmon River hatchery lost most of their eggs and fry in the floods.

happybrew

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hmmm...I couldn't make it over to Tilly (yet) as I'm masquerading as "Bob Villa"..but my bud was there yesterday...and reported success much better than in prior years...but he did mention the fish seemed smaller (12-20).

Go figure.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts