IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a reluctant but proud member of "The Ninety Percent" (those of us left to catch our meager 10% of the fish) ... I offer my Friday report.

Fished the jaws from 7:00-9:00, saw one fish caught for about 30-40 boats.

Fished around Wheeler through the high tide, saw one fish caught.

Geezers at Paradise Cove had a couple (caught @ jaws) - nice fat chinooks.

Chinooks jumping all over the bay! Tons of bait fish also.

Oh, I was using whole herring and a Coyote for a while ... for my non-catching. Diver and dropper equally non-effective.

Crabbing was tough, loads of females mostly undersize. Finally moved the pots upstream a bit for the low slack and got 2 keepers - hard shells with barnacles!

Come on 90%-ers !! Show us your skunk!

[ 08-25-2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: lost_sailor ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
You sure those aren't silvers jumping?
The timing is right.

Jen

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not unless the "30 pound" silvers are in. :dance:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
show & tell? O.K. Did drano lake thursday nite, I trolled all kinds of stuff, than did the boober thing till midnight? NADA.....saturday morning did the troll out in front of the deschutes,NADA....took a break from all the excxitement and did the deschutes again in late afternoon till almost dark.... NADA!! :mad: tell me it WILL get better?

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
crabbed Nehalem on Sunday from 3 till about 6pm. pretty slow but we managed to take home 6 nice crabs. not many boats out there, very serene.

we crabbed right of the State Park boat ramp. using turkey legs.

El!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Fished Nehalem jaws on friday, hooked a 30+ king right at the jaws at high slack. lost at the net.
the knot below the fish flash busted when dad tried to net the beast. we horsed him pretty hard trying to get him in because the boats around us gave us no room whatsoever and i felt we were too close to the end of the south jetty to be safe.
It was like fishing in a traffic jam and i doubt i will do it again. after that we went up to wheeler and trolled spinners for a bit with zippo results. went back to the jaws and fished the outgoing. there were only 6 or 7 boats and i was much less stressed out. the funny thing is we saw as many fish hooked on the ebb as we saw on the flood and at high slack. dad even managed to hook and loose one. bumped into fellow ifisher, fishin magician (nice to meet ya). fished hammond sunday, with some great guys from steelheaders, managed 3 keeper coho and 1 40ish king (what a slab!!!)for the four of us. wasnt exactly red hot but i had a blast. thanks for the great trip guys.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Well if you have a boat that is seaworthy and the ocean is cooperating, Chinook fishing is still hot out of Depoe Bay. Best I’ve seen in all the years I have been here.

Today not a breeze at my house and the Affair is already on his way in with a limit of Chinook.

Lower Columbia should be getting red hot anytime also.

Dan

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
h2o-Dog, thats interesting about the boats not giving you any room. I have fished that place for years and have yet to see another boat not give the fish on boat lots of room. Thats a small place to fish and it will not tolerate a lot of boats. If you were right at the jaws then this gives other boats less room to move about especially if the bar is rough and they cannot proceed on out to make a turn. As you know you dare not go very far to the north or its bye bye to you and your boat. Maybe thats why they were not able to give you the room to fight your fish.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Cagey, i dont want to come off like i'm whining and mabey i'm just paranoid about having a fish on within spitting distance to the end of the jetty, but i really felt penned in. there was a boat dead in front of me (to the west) and he was really close just watching the fire drill going on in my boat. the fact is i am always overly cautious any time i am near the jaws or in the blue, and mabey even more so since all the boat flipping thats been going on there the last week or so. the bar was actually pretty flat(relatively speaking) and there were a dozen or so boats out there until the end of high slack and the coast guard showed up and (i assume) closed it down.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally steered clear of a boat w/ fish on ... it might not have seemed like it. I ended up just taking it out of gear and drifting back.

h2odog, you passed me heading out for the outgoing while I was trolling Wheeler. I figured that was the Pres in the white golf cap! :wink: I was the loner in the old wooden runabout.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Late report from vacation:
Went fishless at the jaws sun.(8/24) a.m. from 6 - 9:00. Saw about 4 caught, with one boat hooked up to what must have been a nice chinook. Everyone, including me was doing their best to give him room. Same story on the crab, pots filled with females starting to produce some eggs down accross from jetty fishery and outward, a few more males up by the state park ramp, (managed a few dinners). Went fishless on Fri. (8/22) up above the 101 bridge stretch, and did'nt see a fish caught for about 20 boats from 6 - 11:00 a.m. (I just don't think they were up there) I knew I would have a better chance at the jaws, but I just love that peaceful area, the sunrise sent shivers through my spine, absolutely amazing! Took a family boat ride with a little spinner trolling in that same stretch sat. (8/23) and talked to some who had been there all morning with the same fishless story. Sun. (8/17) fished the jaws at low slack and incoming 10:30 - on, and managed to be in the right spot at the right time for that school of silvers moving in. We put three nice 10-12# clipped silvers in the box, and had shots at 2-3 others that did'nt stick. I have never seen silver fishing like that in the jaws before and the ratio of clipped ones was surprising as well. A truly wonderful family vacation, with as much fishing mixed in as I could get away with. (trolling is a pretty slow boat ride for 2 1/2 and 5 year old girls, and there were no floating ice cream parlours :smile: )
I absolutely love it down there, and a little confused at work after 10 days of scheduling my days according to the tides.
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

[ 08-26-2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: RIPPLE ]

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
h20dog- I hope i did not make you think i was upset with your post. I was just saying that i have always seen the other boats get far away as soon as they can. Oh i know there are some real airheads that do some dumb things once in awhile and maybe you were unlucky and had one around when you did not need them. :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts