IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With plans for a new boat we are also looking at new kicker motors as well.

I spoke to one of if not the best guide on the Rogue tonight, he has an 8hp High Thrust Yamaha on his 24' NR Scout and loves it. He explained that there is so little difference between the two that its a toss up? (8hp vs 9.9 hi thrust)
I looked at the online spec chart and sure enouogh, no difference? not that I could see (Honda)

My question is ... "Is the 8hp High Thrust Honda/Yamaha big and strong enough to push a 24' inboard around? What about in a B10 situation or in the jaws an Nahelam or the Jaws at the Rogue on a strong out going tide?

What do you like about the Honda? or the Yamaha? I like the control level on the Yamaha right on the handle! anything else? Price point is close.. a little more for the Honda.
thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
How's it going TH??? :grin:

I have a 9.9 Merc on my 23ft sled. I am not sure about the high thrust option but I think I have the equivelent with the Bigfoot/Sail Power. Anyway I wish I had a 15 horse instead. When the current is really ripping in Astoria or the jaws at Nehalem the 9.9 will move me forward but at a crawl. No one ever complained about having too much power if you know what I mean! :rolleyes:

Hope you are still catching those chromers. How's the pup doing, getting big I bet!

Take care :cheers:

·
Registered
29 Posts
TH
I had to make the same decision you are facing..Honda 9.9 or Yamaha hi-thrust 8??? I went with the Yamaha on my 24' Willie Raptor. It is strong enough to move the boat in all trolling situations. I've had to jump on it a couple of times when I got too close to the rocks, other boats, etc. and the Yamaha reacts strong enough to keep me out of trouble. Oh ya, it is extremely quiet and I wouldn't be without the power trim and electric start. It did take me a while to get used to the white prop
...being a former Merc guy and all! Good luck. :grin:

SloTroll

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
It is plenty strong. A lot of folks are going to the T-8. With a 27-32" transom, they are very economical in comparison to what else is available. The Hondas are fine motors too. I like the Yamaha a bit better, but would not complain about either.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
NO! 9.9/8hp is not enough for a boat that big in a strong tidal rip. No back up power for collision avoidance, always running near full throttle. You are better off with a 15hp Honda with the hi-thrust prop. The Yamaha 15 is a Merc head anyway, so if you don't get the Honda, save some bucks and get black. Dont forget electric start and tilt.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a 23' 6" 16 deg hull and the 8 hp pushes me just fine! I have seen it on bigger stripers also approx 23-24 ft. There is 1.6cc difference between the 9.9 and the 8. I heard they (yamaha) are discontinuing the 9.9 because it is old technology and the 8 took over for it. Hence, the 8 come with the ability to power trim/tilt but not in the 9.9 model. I had an 8 hond on my boat and I had nothing but trouble trying to control the boat. The wind really grabs my boat neither the wind or current effect the ability of my 8 to control my boat.
The difference between the yamaha high thrust and the 15 hp power thrust honda is the yam. is geared lower. the honda has a four blade prop, that is the only difference. think of it as being a diesel vs big gas motor. the diesel is set up go slower and take the extra weight without doing damage. Let's face it, neither of these motors are going to plane your boat and if this is the only engine you have left it is going to take a while to get back in. the 8 hp has the thrust of a 20 hp motor because of the gearing change and the bigger, wider, flatter blades. I did a lot of research on this because I hate buyer's remorse and I wanted to get the best engine possible and I still believe I made the best decision. Give me an e-mail if you have any more questions or want to look at how I set up this engine on my boat (I can run it tiller handle or tie it to the big engine and run from the steering wheel up front).
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My only tip is it is Silver/Grey and starts with a "Y".

They can't be beat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
TH,

Like nickle says go with the 15 for that boat. I have 2 boats. A 20' Weldcraft V8 hardtop with a 9.9 OMC high thrust and a 19' NR Scout with the 8 Yami high thrust. The 9.9 pushes that boat pretty good have had it in some good tidial current. But the 8 Yami I feel does not do the job it is a much lighter boat and I have not had it in tidial fishing conditions. It just feels like it doesn't push the boat enough.

But I see all those guides with the bigger NR with it so how can it not work. A boat as big as you're talking about with the 15 you will never be wondering.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You are better off with a 15hp Honda with the hi-thrust prop. The Yamaha 15 is a Merc head anyway, so if you don't get the Honda, save some bucks and get black. Dont forget electric start and tilt.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What!? I'm sorry mister "Dr. StrangeLove" You are mistaken, and by the way all merc 4strokes are Yamaha power heads. Where do you get your information? are you a salesman? Anyway I just thought I wold correct you and set the picture straight. If an 8 highthrust isn't enough try a 9.9 high thrust. last time I was in the market Yamaha made a 4stroke 9.9 highthrust.

$0.02

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I was going to say the same thing, MX man. I was pretty sure Merc used stuff from the BIG "Y". :wink:

[ 09-10-2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
hey th I don't have a big ol 23fter.. or an inboard.. But I do have the 8hp high thrust yammie on my 19ft outboard set up.. You are more then welcome to come on over and give it a whirl if you would like..
dave

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
My apologies. My point was that they share the same engine head; I simply forgot which. I'm not a salesman, just a guy offering his opinion. Peace.

[ 09-10-2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Another vote for the T8 :grin: Pushes my 21' inboard just fine, trolling on the ocean or back trolling below Bonnie. Economical and quiet.
Over 100 trouble free hrs. on a year old motor.
Doesn't seem to mind if I have 2 or 5 people on board, just keeps on pushing :cool:

Kurt

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
This thread is a great example that no one tool is perfect for all jobs.

The T-8 will work fine. But if you work heavy current all the time, then a 15 is a much better idea. But the 15 will not slow down as well as the T-8.

Mark and the dog.

[ 09-11-2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would go with the Yamaha T8 too! Like most of you, I did the research on the engines and I chose the Yamaha because of the newer technology compared to the Honda. It has the ability to troll a smaller boat, but yet the thrust for a big boat.

FYI -- If you are thinking about this, HURRY and put your name on the waiting list! None of the Portland dealers has this in stock. I am looking at an ETA of one week, or so they said...

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
631 Posts
My 2 cents..... I'd go with the bigger motor. I have an 8 hp Honda which trolls like a dream but when my inboard sucked water into the cylinder and I had to run from Astoria to Hammond on my kicker I was wishing I had a bigger motor...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Labor day we were going backwards at the very mouth of the Rogue at Gold Beach. 18' sled with a Yamaha std 8 on the back. A 9.9 would have been better.
90% of the time its just fine, but there are enough times where a 9.9 would have been better that we'd do it differently next time. High thrust might change things a little, would be nicer to have more positive reverse of the high thrust or 9.9.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Food for thought...My 2001 Honda 9.9 Power Thrust pushes my NR 19'x66" Sportster 5mph at WOT. Finclipped's 2003 Yamaha 8 hi thrust pushes his 20'x72" Sportster 6 mph max. Significant difference. I'm not sure exactly what model Yami he has though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts