IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8\' vhf antenna

How do you travel with the antenna in the down position? I have a tennis ball on it to keep it off the boat. Do they make some kind of tie down for them.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Re: 8\' vhf antenna

I travel with my vhf antenae down, and Use a zip tie to keep is off the paint.

·
Registered
382 Posts

I just leave mine up; so far I've had no problems. I've been able to get under all gas station canopies with the antenna up. Mine is a very strong built fiberglass antenna but I have seen some fiberglass antennas that I would not leave up at Hwy speeds.

If I travel far like to Billy Chinook I lay it down about half way (at about a 45 degree angle) then I still don't need a ball.

·
Registered
168 Posts

I use a velcro tie down to secure it to the railing. You can get it at Home Depot. It is a piece of velcro with a hole at one end used to tie up electrical cords with.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts

I put mine down and use a small bungy cord to pull it in slightly and keep it close to the boat. The velcro strap sounds good and I will look for one the next time I am at Home Depot.

SD

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

Mine's mounted on my hardtop and I use a tennis ball, like you do. I don't tie it down and imagine it whips in the wind sometimes but it doesn't seem any worse for the wear.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

I make whoever I am fishing with ride in the boat, and gently cup the tip of the antenna in their hands, while we are traveling 55mph down the highway. :cheers:

Actually, I don't have anything in the area to velcro the antenna to, so I picked up a "question mark" shapped plastic clip. There were located by the bins of screws. I just pop the antenna into the clip, and it keeps it from bouncing around the place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts