IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8\' Siltcoos Sturgeon

This tidbit was in today's ODFW Monday Morning report:

STURGEON: An 8-foot sturgeon was collected in Siltcoos Lake recently. This unusual location for sturgeon has prompted region staff to investigate.

The dam at the outlet is sometimes opened completely and a sturgeon could easily swim thru it...I've run driftboats thru the dam's bulwarks before...in winter after heavy rains.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: 8\' Siltcoos Sturgeon

There are a group of people that fish for them on tenmile... pretty cool..

·
Banned
37,111 Posts

We used to fish for brown catfish on Siltcoos when I was a kid. Every once in awhile you would hear something hit the water like someone dropped a large log in from a great height. Dad said it was sturgeon jumping in the moonlight.

Guess he was right again!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

That's the Siltcoos Monster! Ive herd about BIG Sturgeon jumping in that lake. When I was a kid I was told there was a monster in that lake.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

I don't doubt it. There's been more than one sturg caught over the years off of the county dock on tenmile. I think they're brought in by bucket brigades. I know I once was fishing a live bluegill on the bottom at an undisclosed location on south lake. Whatever I hooked was big and took little time to destroy my 15# line. It was one of two things. Big hybrid, or gator. Now before anyone says anything I know fishing live bluegill is illegal. But when you're sixteen, game laws are for other people :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

16 Ram? :grin: You looked much older than that this winter :grin:

I know a family that spend a lot of time chasing them on S. Lake.. as well as N.
They pack the cooler with sand shrimp and head out right before dark... they have some wild stores to tell.

Dont tell my kids there are Gators in the lake please! They'd never wakeboard again!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

:smile:
how have you been?
How's are the little ones?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

I was fishing with Rauly several years ago on Siltcoos. All of a sudden Rauly yell's out to me, Did you see that? He saw a huge sturgeon jump not far from the boat. I didnt see the fish, but the splash it made was definetly not a trout or bass.

·
Registered
443 Posts

This does not surprise me. I grew up down there, and as a kid went to the Boy Scout camp on the lake. One year, a group of kids from the camp managed to catch a large sturgeon by beating it to death with oars from the rowboat and dragging it to shore with a rope.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hmmm...I used to live in Dunes City and I shared my back lot line with the Boy Scout camp. Wondered why the neighborhood cats kept coming up missing. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts