IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone dealt with this issue: my 8 HP Merc kicker motor is shocking me as I hold the tiller arm. I have looked for obvious grounds and find none, and have used WD40 to remove moisture. This is an older 2 cycle, 1994 model, s/n 170781.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Try a new spark plug wire. Or try running it with the cover off in the dark,look for arking or sparking.


Free

[ 11-02-2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: freespool ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,918 Posts
Do you have a kill button. That is where I would look first. I have experienced this on a friends kicker and that was the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Have had the same problem with the same motor. Diagnosis is tough cause it comes and goes. Only get the shock with moisture present ( wet tiller minimum) and never really hard enough shock to hurt - just annoying.
Had a mobile electric service meet me at the river to check it out and of course - could not get it to act up. Doused everything to no avail.
Cleaned all connections and sprayed them with protectant.
Will be interested in your findings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishbair, I have a kill button on the end of the tiller handle, and an on/off toggle switch on the stb. side of the engine. Both are factory switches.
What would fail in the kill circuit to cause the shocking through the tiller handle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,322 Posts
Ray --- You've got a dead short of some kind to the handle. My guess is it has something to do with the kill button or the run switch. This used to be a fairly common problem with the little Mercs, and the most common short was to or from the kill button. Any repair guy can probably fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
bud,
you have have a bad ground. Look at the ground connection for the kill switch it will be powder white, the spark plug has nothing to do with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,375 Posts
This happens to me only in salt water. Fresh water no problem. Still think it's the kill switch? :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gentlemen. I will have a look at the circuit to the kill button and the ground circuit.
I appreciate the response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts
It happened with my old 98 Merc 8 horse. I took it to a honest mechanic and he had it fixed for $25.00.

The story that goes with it is even better.

A buddy and I are crabbing Netarts Bay and the wind is howling pretty good. My buddy had never crabbed before and as I was sorting crabs in the bottom of the boat he launchs a ring and the rope goes into the prop on the big outboard. No problem. I'll just fire up the trolling motor to keep us off the rocks, hit the tilt on the big motor and untie the rope. One problem. The posessed motor starts shocking the H E double tooth picks out of me :shocked: . Not bad at idle but the more RPM's you put to the motor the more voltage came through the handle. By this time I'm getting close to the rocks and have to pour the coal to it. Needless to say I had to run it pretty hard to keep from washing into shore. Finally got my wits about me and wrapped a towel around the handle and got situated. To this day I have this little nervous tweak in my system every time I touch a Merc. I run a Honda now!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,663 Posts
I ran a 1986 Merc 8 HP motor for about 6 years on two different boats. It would shock me off and on in both boats for about the whole time I ran it as a kicker. It finally started doing it full time and it was a pain in the rear. I took it in to a local Mercury dealer and it was found to be in the kill switch in the handle. Ran great after that without all the special effects. :blush:

SD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,322 Posts
Originally posted by Spoiled Daddy:
Ran great after that without all the special effects. :blush: SD
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Broke me up!!! :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,438 Posts
Most likely it is the wire to the red kill switch at the end of the handle.

Look for the wire that runs up into the handle. Look where it crosses over the metal rod that is also in the handle. Pull the wire slightly back and see if the rubber housing is cracked.

Good Luck.

Giz..
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top