IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished this AM with Dogzilla. We launched at 5:30 and went west northwest to about 140’. It was a bit slow to start but found the fish. Ocean was pretty windy and lumpy and not very comfortable but it was manageable. Dog busted out his hoochie spinner and put a couple dandy nooks in our box. He is a good guy to fish with so if you have the opportunity to fish with him you will enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Congrats - looks like some nice fish and agree Harvey is a heck of fisherman (y)

·
Registered
42,328 Posts
Joc is a great guy to fish with and a nice boat with tons of room. We had a great day. Was back at the house before 10:30.

For someone with no sea legs it was challenging. First test after my leg injury and surgery. Feel it now but not a bad feeling. Need more of it.

The bite was interesting. We started by heading into the swell and it was dead. When we turned around is when the light came on. Water was very dirty so Chinook weren’t all that far down. I was running 12 oz and sixty+ feet of line in the water. Bait wasn’t all that deep but was in the (Chinook) zone. Standard gold blade, hoochie and chunk was the ticket. Hasn’t failed yet. I had the wrong rod, 1064. Tough to get the fish that last foot needed for netting. We didn’t use the net for the Silvers which were dinks. Something wrong with the food out there or??? They aren’t growing like they should be. Chinook are plump.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I believe that 1st fish is a great example of an chrome bright ocean Tule. Giveaways... anal fin, small tail, hint of a kype jaw, hint of green on gill plate. Would be curious to see the fillets. I would be interested to see if the Doc can confirm my analysis.

·
Registered
42,328 Posts
OS.... Actually, the hint of green was very indistinct on both fish. Their heads were very small with short jaws, small teeth. The first fish was heavily spotted like a Rogue fish but was bigger than any of them I’ve ever caught and it didn’t have the blue back. The spots did not resemble Tule spots in shape and were far more numerous. It was adipose clipped. Both fish had slight purple on the back. Anal fins were larger than URB’s but tucked up to the body in the rear, triangle shaped. Three other traits said non-Tule. They weren’t slimy, didn’t stink and cut like URB’s. If I were to throw out a semi-educated guess, they were BP (Tule). As nice as the meat was, it’d be a shame to toss them back. Yes, I’d like the Doc’s opinion also.

·
Registered
14,739 Posts
I believe that 1st fish is a great example of an chrome bright ocean Tule. Giveaways... anal fin, small tail, hint of a kype jaw, hint of green on gill plate. Would be curious to see the fillets. I would be interested to see if the Doc can confirm my analysis.
I'm saying BPH all the way and simply because that's the most abundant hatchery stock in the system. Quality varies when they get to the Dead Zone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts