IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished yesterday in moderately rough seas off the CR and got a quick limit of silvers. Couldn't get any size to them though. Ran almost all the way to the CR buoy, fished to the north of it about 1 mile around the other boats. Started fishing at 7:45 a.m. 30 minute boat ride from the dock in Chinook, was able to run at near full throttle all the way out even though it was a bit sloppy. Fished two rods with red delta divers, cut plug and whole herring at 8-15 pulls and couldn't keep a rod in the water for more than 2 minutes without a fish on. We released the first 8 as they were either natives or dinky. Didn't want to cross the bar after 9:00 a.m. so ended up keeping 4 dinky silvers in the 4-5 lb. range. One might have gone 6. Released a few natives that might have been 7 or 8, but nothing to brag about yet. Ocean was rough enough that we didn't even bother with the downrigger to try for chinook. Wanted to get our fish and get back in. This fishery should be excellent in August when the fish will be in the 8-15 lb. range. Bar wasn't bad at all - about the same as the ocean by the CR buoy. Had a friend out with 5 rods in his boat and they only cought one little chinook - 9 lbs. Same story as us - lots of dinky silvers. If the ocean would have been calmer and we had more time to fish before the tide changed, I'd have moved around trying to find some bigger fish. Easy limits though for those who think it's worth the trip.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Good job Joe and thanks for the report. I ran my boat out of Newport yesterday and found the seas to be a sloppy mess. It called for 12 seconds apart but 7 was more like it with a 4 foot wind wave. Very uncomfortable with the strong south wind blowing. The only salmon we were able to find broke my pole holder and ended up swimming away with three hundred bones of gear (story on the salty dog board). We were in 220 feet of water but the water temp was cold, 49 degrees. Didn't want to go west any further because of the sloppy conditions. We did salvage the trip with a couple of lings and limits of sea bass. Oh well, there's always next trip.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts