IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a 6 or 8 hp 4-stroke Johnson. The 6hp would be better for my boat because I don't need a bunch of horsepower, and it's significantly smaller than the 8. My question: does anyone have a 6hp and how has it run? I'm leary of the single cylinder; tested one in a tank at NW Jetboats today and it was OK ideling but seemed like a bunch of vibration though.

[ 10-01-2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: bellinghamangler ]

G

·
I know nothing about Johnson motors, but I'm just now starting to look for a LS motor for my Drift boat. I'm looking forward to hearing what others offer you on this posting.

Otherwise, I'm really curious about your handle "bellinghamangler", yet your profile say's you're from Prosser? I'm over here in Benton City and have only been visiting his forum for a little while. I've been drifting the Yak, for entertainment purposes, and if I find a motor for my boat, I'll be headed to Vernita or Ringold...Limit of 4 has my ears ringing...!

Nice chatting with you, hope someone writes about that motor.

45/70

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally I'm from Bellingham, and I really like to fish, so bellinghamangler. NOT bellingham mangler as some have thought. I've been thinking about it, and since I have been on the East side for 11 years now, maybe I should change it.

I still miss the saltwater and the we make pilgrimages for crab and shrimp throughout the year.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i have a 6.6 johnson kicker, on a 17` fiberglass sylvan brand boat. its a old motor,late 70s vintage but is the most reliable outboard motor ive ever owned. my problem is that in winds or strong currents i have trouble keeping the boat straight. i am looking for a used 15 horse now for fishing tillamook bay. the 6.6 is a perfect lake trolling motor. i am happy with it. joco

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I'd go for the yamaha 8 hp Power thrust.. at least take a look at them... I love mine.
d

·
Registered
348 Posts
I love Johnson motors. I have a 1968 9.5 HP that starts on the second pull runs perfect and never had a single proble with it and my uncle has a 2000 4 stroke 9.9 HP Johnson and he loves it. Yamahas are awsome too... but you sure do pay for it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I used to be a hugh fan of Johnson! Than I bought my boat and have a 150 Ocean Runner on it and have many, many problems. I don't really blam the motor for the first or second rebuild within one year (I think it was how the previous owner took care of it). It does make me leary of OMC motors (Johnson/Evinrude). When I researched my kicker I went with the 4-stroke 8HP high thrust power trim/tilt Yamaha. I love that motor and it has no problem with current or wind on a 23'6" alum boat. At the time that I was looking at motors I talked to many about all different brands. I was told to stay away from OMC...going through bankruptcy. I know they are now owned by bombarder, but I still love that Yamaha.

I can tell you one thing- with any single cylinder you will get quite a bit of vibration over other two cylinders just because it is easier to balance two cyl vs one cyl. I don't want to have you shy away from Johnson but when I upgrade my big motor I will go with a Yamaha. I think you would be safe with the smaller Johnson's but I would go with an eight horse instead of the six. It is better to have too much horse power than too little and since both will troll down to what you need the 8 is a safer bet. If I owned a drift boat I would definately go with the 8 hp yamaha. It is geared down to go slower and push with the same thrust as a 20 hp motor. it will not push the boat too fast for trolling but it will not get hindered in stronger current or heavy wind.
With either motor (6 or 8, yamaha or johnson), you will still need to get it up in the r's after trolling with it all day just to burn off excess carbon build-up. Any marine mechanic will tell you that. They are built to troll but they still build up carbon deposit if not run at higher r's.

If you look around and see the power thrust honda, I would choose the yamaha over it. The honda is not geared down, all they did was change the prop. I don't remember where you are from but give pacific boatland a call. They sell johnson/evinrude, yamaha, and honda. They are also an excellent company when it comes to customer service. They want to make sure you are happy with your choice. They are a little higher but the motor comes tuned up ready to run not just pulled out of the box and handed to you like some other comanies in the area.

I hope this helps you and gives you a couple of options. I hate to buy something and not be informed about all the options on the market so I like to pass on the info to others.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have a long shaft 2 STROKE 6hp johnson on an 18' flatbottom alumaweld and love it. It starts right away and I have never had a problem. It is a 2cyl. No vibration, and trolls without any issues.

·
Registered
509 Posts
We have a 6 HP Mercury 4 stroke on a 16' DB and love it. Have used it in the bays, small rivers, and in Columbia. VERY efficient on fuel, starts easy. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm pretty sure Johnson is made by Suzuki. It's the same motor and less expensive packaged as a Suzuki.

Go to www.suzukimarine.com and click on 'portables' and there are all kinds of 'techincals' and a comparison chart to yam, honda, merc and johnson. The Johnson cell says same motor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses.

I ended up getting a Honda 8hp. Like my Dad says, the best is always the cheapest.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
oh well, should have got yourself a yamaha that way you would eliminate the problems that your going to have. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
My brother's older Johnson (which was a great motor) fell off while he was towing. The insurance company told him to get a new one. He called his buddy at the Johnson shop and told him he was shopping for a new 15 horse. The friend told him to buy a Yamaha or a Honda. He said with all the turmoil at Johnson, Inc., he could not vouch for the quality of the new motors.

The older ones (up to 2000) are great motors, imho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts