IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How accurate do you need to be when mixing your 2 stroke oil? Is it better to run rich or light?

Thanks,

'77 Mercury Jet

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you go 60:1 or 40:1 it probably wont hurt anything. Just smokes more or less. I ran my 1976 Johnson for years around 60:1. If it your main power such as a 1977 mercury jet, you probably run it fairly hard better take extra care to get the mixture real close.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
High RPM/load is richer, low RPM/load is lower. If you are firewalled go 40:1, if dead slow or ahead slow 100:1.

That's what those oil pumps do for you.... til they quit working.

Depends on the quality of the 2 stroke oil too.

I'd go 50:1 with good oil, you probably work the old girl pretty hard.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I try to stay fairly accurate but more oil is better than not enough. Too lean may burn something up and too much oil and you foul a plug. I would rather clean up or change a spark plug. At least that is what I have always been told.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
For me the proof is in the pudding. I asked a very successful Mercury service dealer what was the best mix to run in my new 2 stroke Kenai 40 horse. He advised somewhere between 75 and 100 to 1. I ran the motor without trouble for 5 years guiding under the hardest conditions they can be run. Slow backtrolling, running hard back upstream, slow backtrolling all day long. It smoked very little and ran great. The only reason I sold it was because I bought new, boat and 4 stroke motor. The guy who bought it from me followed the same routine and ran it three more years then sold it to buy a new Honda. It was still running strong.

I would rather run lean than rich because I don't like fouled plugs and dirty exhaust. It's just not that critical to be right on 50 to 1 if you want to run in that range.

More is not always good.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Most oil bottles say 50:1 is 3oz per gallon. In reality, 2.56oz per gallon is 50:1. IMO (actual) 50:1 is the most you will ever need, unless you have an older engine that calls for more (they actually need it due to bearing design).

I've got buddies that run 12,000+rpm 2 strokes at oil ratios of 100:1 for hundreds of hours and never have an oil related issue.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
wow. that give me a whole new way of thinking on my oil mix since I troll 95 percent of the time. good thread!

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
A fishin buddy of mine always rinsed out the quicksilver can with the gas pump and I thought he was nuts or cheap but nowadays it is probably a good practice enviornmentally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts