IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back out for gators with my son and grandpa. We caught 2 keepers but one was missing his tail! Here is grandpa reeling in tail-less.

He went about 38 inches without his tail and was a fat bugger.

We couldn't believe how well he fought without a tail! There are teeth marks on his underside close to his well healed knub. Must have been a close call escape from long ago. He escaped from me too, back in he went to fight another day. :dance:

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
that fish ought to get hazard pay! there should be a rule that you can only take sturgeon that are fully intact. that's the second sturgeon in less than a year i've seen on ifish without its tail. he's had it hard enough in life swimming around without a tail. will-to-live like that should be rewarded.

in the first shot, what's up with the second fish in that pic? is this a double hookup or is the mate swimming alongside (as a kind of social bond thing)?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other fish is our first keeper on a rope. We let tail-less go to fight another day!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
any opinions (StrgRule??) on why the fish was tail-less? Ampersat said that was the second picture he has seen of a sturgeon like that. Would that be from an injury or is it some kind of defect from birth?

RF

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,378 Posts
RogueFishr: Yep, that is the reason. :grin:
Oh, you actually wanted an opinion? I have seen things that are obviously birth/develpment problems and I have seen injury caused mutilations (Isn't it weird? We call a natural thing a defect and a un-natural thing a mutilation. Those two words mean way different things for the same product). :shrug:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Suprised you did not jump on this one STG Rule that fish is clearly sitting on the deck of the boat for a pic.........Chris

[ 06-01-2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
I have heard of adipose clipping but when did they start tail clipping. :wink:

Rauly

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,378 Posts
Yes, but it isn't being hoisted into the air either. I'm guessing that it is sitting on the deck for the same reason you put your fish on the deck. To get measured.

[ 06-01-2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I caught a shaker on sat that had a really nasty scar on the underside about 6-8 inces below the mouth. Do fish develop keloid scarring? I have never seen any thing like it before on a fish. The scar was pink and really hard, raised about 1/2 cm above the surronding tissue and shaped like a 1/2 moon and then filled in with scar tissue. Very rough and irregular.

·
Registered
993 Posts
This is not a birth defect but victim of incidental catch. Sturgeon have very sharp scutes and wrap up in gill nets very badly. Whats the easiest way to get one out other than cutting the net? Cut the tail off the fish and feed it through the mesh. That's right, just more senseless killing and maiming of fish so guys can supplement their "income".

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Gregotis98 is exactly right. This was a commercial caught fish that was "released" from a gill net.
Common practice up and down the CR system.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by fishnclifff:
Gregotis98 is exactly right. This was a commercial caught fish that was "released" from a gill net.
Common practice up and down the CR system.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">It's too bad that this "practice" can't be curbed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts