IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was caught last Saturday (7-19)out of Garibaldi. I am fairly new to this picture posting, so hopefully it works.

We had the ifish channel on and some of you may have heard my friend broadcast it. It was between 45-48# on my scale, but the boat was moving to much to pinpoint the weight. Garibaldi Marine weighed it in at 45.5#, so I call it 46 before I bled it. (It bled a lot!) If you want the story read on.

Now, I have been on this board for three years and never contributed a story, they didn’t have that tradition when the board was new, so here is my story from Saturday if you would like to read it.

It was kind of fluke that I even got to go fishing that day. I had to be at a wedding at 8:00 PM in Renton Washington. So getting up at 3:00, driving to Garibaldi (I live in Vancouver) fishing then coming home and driving to Renton, was a little bit too much for me. The late evening wedding time, kind of screwed up the whole weekend.

Earlier in the week on Monday, I talked my brother into going with me, so we would split the driving time (he had to go to the wedding to.) I filled up the rest of the boat and thought everything was set. Well Thursday night, my brother calls me to tell me that he won’t be fishing ,,,with no explanation. :whazzup: By his tone I could tell it was his wife who was listening over his shoulder. This ticked me off as I had already made commitments to take several guys fishing and also made a commitment to go to the wedding. :mad: Well I thought I should cancel the trip. I started to resent this “evening” wedding thing, but didn't want to cancel on everyone else. Finally made myself commit to getting up at 3:00 AM, driving to Garibaldi, fishing to 1:00 then heading back to Vancouver and making it to the wedding by 8:00. I had a plan, and darnit sleep isn’t that important anyway!

Everything went according to plan, Saturday morning. There were 5 guys going including myself and no one else wanted to drive, so all 5 of us piled into my F150 Extended Cab and headed to Garibaldi. (By the way, my next pickup is going to be a quad cab!)

Before we started fishing everyone pulled out their rods, but I had brought two rods for two other guys who don’t fish the salt very much. Of course they picked the nice rods (Lamiglass and Berkley) and pulled out the “yellow dog” for me. The “yellow dog” is a $10 dollar Eagle claw glass rod (rated 10-25)from way back when. Don’t get me wrong the “yellow dog” is a veteran rod passed down from my dad and has caught more fish than just about any other rod I have. Well I look at them and say “you boys are in trouble now, you left me the yellow rod.”

The day started out with a hatchery keeper, but then a long dry spell with several misses. Around 9:00 I am getting a little concerned as we only have one 6# hatchery coho in the box. A little difficult to split 5 ways.

A little time goes by and “old yeller Pops loose off the down-rigger. I let go of the tiller and rush over to the now slack yellow rod. I quickly reel up until there is resistance and set the hook. This fish immediately takes a short run deep and I am pretty sure it is a Chinook. So, everyone reels in their rods. The funny thing is I usually hand off my rod if there are any newbies, but this day I had all veterans, so I took it myself. In all reality, I would have handed the rod to my brother if he would have come.

The fish takes an immediate run down and out, I left on the clicker to so I listened to it sing. The yellow rod at this point is completely bent over with no more stretch left. Eventually I work the fish up to the boat where we get our first glimpse at it. It’s a big fish! I almost made the comment “this feels like a monster” but opted to keep my mouth shut. The fish takes a run under the boat, eastward and deeper. This is a massive run that makes the 209 clicker sing. I have never had a fish take a run like this. I would guess he ran all the way to the bottom in 240 feet of water. I can feel the power as it takes all the bend out of the rod and runs. I momentarily put my thumb on the reel, which seems to make it just go faster.

Eventually it stopped and I started to pull it back to the boat. To this point I have been fairly quiet and while everyone else in the boat is saying how big it is, I am just stating “would be nice to get it in.”

Eventually it is next to the boat. Now I don’t believe in Karma to much, but a passenger in my boat looks at me and says “I bet you wish you had barbs right about now" and laughs a little bit. He gets no response from me. Then the fish is close enough to see that it is only hooked by the bottom hook. Perhaps the smallest hook I used that day, a Gamakatsu Barbless 3/0. Then he says “I bet you wish that other hook was in its mouth.” Again I give him no response, careful to keep the line tight. Old yeller has never seen a fish like this.

The fish makes one more run, which really stresses me out as I saw that little single hook in its mouth and could imagine the fish turning and throwing it. But not today, one more time to the boat, and the first time it was netable, the head came out of the water with a little umphh from old yeller and the net was slipped under it. As soon as slack was put in the rod, the hook simply fell out of the fishes mouth. But it was now in the net.

I have never screemed after catching a fish, but I let out holler when this fish was bleeding (profusely) on the bottom of the boat. A very good feeling, "the big one who didn’t get away."

I don’t know if there is any moral here, but I can tell you we probably caught 20 fish, missed that many, and the guy who was badgering me, never caught a fish all day. He tried everything. The other 4 of us limited. As far as my brother goes, I am sending him a color copy of the fish with the caption “See what you missed.”

I never made it to the wedding. I was stuck behind a traffic jam going home. Sorry Ryan.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Great looking fish :cheers: ...good story too
could almost see the fight and the successful landing. But whats up with those shoes dude? :shocked: Did you get them free with the purchase of old yeller? :laugh: :wink:

[ 07-21-2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wow! :shocked: I think I'd let out a howl if I got a pig like that in the boat too. I know I'd hold on to that ole yellow pole. Good story!

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Wow! Welcome to ifish again, and thanks for sharing that huge fish! Made me smile big!

Please, however... do leave those hatchery fish out there for me to catch. I need all the help I can get!

That one would have been a great trainer for some of us fish challenged girls!

Jen

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just remember thinking " We're gonna need a bigger net." As it turned out, we needed a bigger cooler. :shocked: 120qts wasn't enough that day.
Big fish, great weather, definately a day to remember.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
:cheers: Congratulations on that piggy pig pig :cheers:

and to boot you told an awesome story, it was like we were all there with you

"Wedding, what wedding... did you see that fish honey" :cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Holy Salmon! That thing is huge and look how bright it is! Man, how long did you fight that? Now if that doesn't put a smile on my face thinking about the fall king season, I don't know what will. May they all be that big. That is an absolute HAWG. Heck, hawg doesn't even do it justice. That is a monster! Way to go. My tip my hat!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Had the pleasure to see that one out there on the pond. I got a call on the radio from Gobbaworms saying they just got a 45 lbr & was nearby so I motored over for a look. That thing looked even bigger in person. Congratulations Kevin, kinda makes the 30 lber we got a few weeks ago look puny. Were gonna try & get the baton back but that ones gonna be tough to beat.

[ 07-21-2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Streetwalker ]

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
I just read your story again. Needed to smile again.
Today, as I was buried in computer nightmares, I asked myself, "Why do I do this?"

Because of stories like this one! That's why!

Thanks again,

Jen

·
Registered
395 Posts
That is about as nice as they get ,but even better was that story.

It seemed as if I was there. I could see "ol' yeller" doubled over, I could feel the line burning my thumb. I even felt it's head come out of the water to net it. :grin:
Congrats on the pig and once again, great story.
:cheers:
Later Geoff

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Your great grandkids will love that picture. What a whopper. Taxiderm tempted or eat like kings? No pun intended. Wow!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I would have missed my own wedding for that fish :shocked: Guess it's a good thing I didn't catch one like that on that day-you see, I had a evening wedding so me and the groomsmen could fish in the morning before the wedding :grin:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
From the sounds of your "friends" maybe you should get a standard cab. They don't want to help drive, they take the best fishing gear, I'm surprised they let you keep the fish! :wink: Or did they? Sounds like my friends, bring the boat, the gear, and drive me, and I'll bring my own lunch! :laugh:
Nice fish, who wants to go to weddings anyway.

myles

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice pishy finclipped.
It's all worth it, when you hook up to a hog like that. :cheers:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I want one! (whine) :bowdown: Excellent story. I can just imagine the slump in your brothers shoulders & dejected look in his eyes when he hears your story & then is presented the picture. Hope he reads your post. I hope his wife reads your post! :shocked: :grin:

save a couple big ones for me!

Full freezer

·
Registered
856 Posts
Oink-Oink!! What a pig! That oughta feed the family for awhile! Good story telling! Why don't you write more often? Not enough fish stories or what?
GotZem!

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
This sounds something like "Grumpier Old Men" and Catfish Hunter.

Super fish and good story. Congrats. :bowdown:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts