IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes and sells a rocker style anchor that is 40lbs or heavier for holding in the fast water. Everything that I see at Fisherman's or GI Joes is not heavy enough.

2 weekends ago, I was at the Shad Rack and had a boat that lost power, drift down and snag my anchor rope. I had to cut the rope because we started sliding into the boats below.

Another good argument for keeping a knife handy when "stuff" happens.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Check with the fishery...they have a pretty good selection of large anchors.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Rubber Robin,
How big of a boat do you have. I have a 19' north river. I use the 26# anchor that I purchased with the boat from North River. I added 8' of heavy chain and use plenty of rope. I have never had any problem anchoring up at the shad rack or around the oak tree hole. I feel sorry for the guy who has to yank a 40# anchor in the boat.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't have any problems holding up at Bonneville. What size anchor chain do you have and how long is it? You have to have a heavy chain about 6 feet long so that the anchor will lay down. Either that or you don't have enough rope out. I bought my anchor at Fishermans. Its a river anchor that folds down. My boat is an 18' Koffler. Not the biggest boat but I didn't buy the biggest anchor that Fishermans has either.
Mine used to slip too, till I got some beefy anchor chain to get it to lay down.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I built myself a heavy Rocker anchore. The total weight with chain is around 35#. This anchore sticks like glue. Always hangs up on the first throw. I don't find it difficult at all to yard the thing onto the anchore nest.

suckerfish

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had mine built and galvanized at a metal fabrication company. Cost a little less than Fishermans. I have to agree with every one else. Mine weighs 29#, it has a tall shaft (24"+) with 6 ft. of chain and 400 ft. of rope.I have a 21' Magnum and with 4-6 people in the boat, it holds every time.

Chris

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I have two a 30# and a 35# stainless anchors.. I had Wayne Adams at Sea People Marine in Gold Beach, OR build mine.. needless to say I can hold anywhere... Ihave a 23' Willie Predator...
When the wind gets blowing and the river is kicking out at 8K. I throw them both out and STICK.. the anchors I had built have very sharp prongs, that dig into gravel very well.. not sure that I needed up north..???

·
Registered
644 Posts
I recommend you check with Bait-O-Eggs at Trask River Tackle. I have used a 30# rocker for years in the Salem/Wheatland area, and he made one for me that is a lot lighter(I have not weighed it), and I figured no-way would it hold. I even brought my old one with me the first few times, but that thing stuck good. I too use a good length of heavy chain, but did not add anything to my old set-up, just changed anchors. The one he made for me is lighter than his usual model, but suits me, since it's much easier to handle. In any case, you might want to check it out.

·
Registered
515 Posts
r.r. check your mail c.b. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 20' Duckworth. I have used an anchor in the 30lb range with about 6 to 8' of chain. I also have 300' of rope. Still, with 4 people in fast current we will sometimes have trouble sticking. Maybe our chain is not heavy enough?

When I lost my anchor several weeks ago I went to the Fishery to get a replacement that same day so we could keep fishing. All they had at that time were "baby" anchors. Weight was about 20lbs. This would not hold in the water that I wanted to fish. Of course I no longer had my chain either.

C.B. Thanks for the reply. I will check my email when I get home. My ifish email address is for my home computer.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
used to fish from a 21' Duck had to go to 400' of rope in fast water wish iwe had 500'

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
chain sounds great when it comes over the side of the boat :tongue: , if you have a good anchor you dont need chain just ike Jawbreaker said the chain is just to make the anchor lay down, the one my Dad built works great never slips hes been using it longer than i can remember. our friend has a 24' MM and his dad built him one like ours and he has no chain and it holds just fine. if you want a pic let me know Just my $0.02

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
RR Check with Bait o' eggs as mentioned above.

I bought one of the EZ fold-up anchors and even with 5' chain it wouldn't hold on the willamette near Cklackamette Park. Man, did we put on a "Doughball" show trying to anchor my boat.

"Mr. Bait o' eggs" makes an anchor that has longer shaft and this thing really sticks. The geometry relationships of the shank and stock length to the angle of the flukes or tines is better.

edsr

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
this is the anchor it is 20" wide and 26" tall and weighs in at 25#s

[ 06-18-2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
566 Posts
Last year we used a foldable "T" anchor at the Shad Rack that was 25lbs + about 10' of fairly light chain....it held most of the time, but not all of the time, but had to put 80' of line or more out (boats get a bit too cozy up there for 80' to work all the time). This year however we used a 40lb. anchor of the same style and in 6 days or so we didn't drift ONE FOOT! Make all the difference in the world moving up to the 40lb. anchor (plus 6' of very heavy chain.) Yes, it's quite the work-out to lift that sucker in the boat each time.....if I'm not careful it scratches the boat a bit. I'm 40 years old, but my 65 year old dad probably wouldn't want to use the 40lb. anchor. Try getting one of the ROLLERS on the front of your bow and that would probably help a lot.

We were in a 20' all-welded aluminum semi-v boat.

I also put the BOUY out, to cushion the effect of big wakes dislodging our anchor....only need maybe 12' of rope to the bouy from the bow of the boat...seems to help! However, 90% of the boats at the Shad Rack did NOT put their bouy out while anchored....however, a good number of folks had problems staying put.

A "scope" of 4 was great (12' of water = 48' of rope from bouy to anchor.) A scope of 3.3 or so worked great too, but I'll use 4 if there's a bit more of a current.

When a big wake came at us the other day the two boats on either side of us went instantly flying downstream a long ways (their anchors wouldn't hold)....but our boat didn't move!

I bet EZ Marine's 32lb. anchor would hold almost as well as the 40lb one, and be easier to lift into the boat.

We NEVER drifted when we did:
1. 40lb. EZ Marine anchor + 6' of HEAVY chain.
2. Put out the bouy, as a cushion.
3. Scope of 4.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I put my anchor chain in a bicycle innertube and it quiets the noise and reduces the scratches. Just zipper tie it to a link, top and bottom. Leave the end open so that the water will drain out.......

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Quick Fisher is right. YOu do not need chain to anchor corectly. The reason that most people have a tough time hooking up is because they throw anchor and go flying in reverse to get behind the rope and ect. This is good, but after the anchor hits, you don't need to keep flying in reverse. All you are doing is dragging the anchor fast over the rocks. Especially if you don't let the anchor hit first or the person holding the locking mechanism is holding back on the rope too much.

I have seen too many people with what looks like all they are using is chain. No rope. They still have a tough time holding up. A good designed anchor will not have problems like this.

Like Quick Fisher also said, I know the guy with the 24' Motion Marine hardtop boat as well and he uses no chain either. No chain on the sand anchor as well for either of us. Just technique!! :wink:

Come anchor with us. We'll show you how fast we can hook up!! :grin: I've been going with my dad for close to 20 years and he has been up there doing it a lot longer than that and saved numerous fools who got hung up backwards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts