IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know, really what I am talking about, or the terms to use... but.

You know the water that comes out of the engine? It should be a strong steady stream, right?

What would happen to clog that, so that the water coming out doesn't seem to be the right amount?

On ours, sometimes just drips come out! I want to be smart and tell Bill how to fix it. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
616 Posts
Jennie,

Just because it dribbles out doesn't mean it's not working correctly. Some O/B Motors have a thermostat that regulates the water flow. If you are in cold water most of the time then your water pump indicator stream may just dribble.

Make sure your model has a thermostat.... If your model doesn't have a thermostat you might get it looked at pronto before you cook the water pump impeller.

:grin:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We had a similar problem with our 4-stroke Merc. The water actually stopped coming out of the tube.After taking the cover off the motor, we discovered that the tubing tie had broken and the water was just running down the inside of the engine. Put a new tie on it and it was fine. Hope this helps. It was an easy fix!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
You might just have it clogged up with some weeds.

Has happened to me and I just used a opened paper clip and shoved it up into the "the little place where the water is supposed to come out" AKA the pis ser.(sorry) but thats all I have ever heard it called. Did that after changing the impeller and it was still plugged.

If that doesn't work you better get a look to see if the water pump is bad.

Easy fix but expensive if you wait for something to fry in there.

fop

[ 08-27-2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: fop ]

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The first thing I did with my motor was screw the hose onto the flush out fitting and didn't realize I was twisting the hose inside into a knot which shut off the flow completely. Mine is just an indicator of flow and doesn't really say there's no water getting to the engine. The engine alarm did not go off so I figured something was just wrong with the tube. Moral - look inside and see what there is to see!

Also ditto on the weeds/grass getting inside- poke something up in there and at least the look of the flow will change- you'll know you're on the right track.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Remove the motor cover and you will find a small hose that connects to the plastic fitting (pee hole). The fitting and hose should be tied with a zip tie. Cut the tie pull the hose off and you will probably find a small stick or some kind of junk that is to large exit the pee hole. If you do not find it there you can (with the motor hooked up to water) start the motor and the junk should come out. If that does not work just remove the hose from where it attaches to the motor (same zip tie connection) and blow out the hose. My Merc does this all the time.
Hope this helps
Randy

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Listen to RogueFisher. My 2 stroke has a thermostat and it will flow water from drip drops to steady stream.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For those of you that find sand in the hole, put a piece of masking tape over it when your not using it for a while (dont forget to take it off prior to fishing) Most of the time mud wasp's are leaving the sand for you, you dont want it to sit there long enough for the wasp spit (glue) to harden or you well have big problems..>DJ

·
Registered
270 Posts
check the flow by pulling the tube as explained in prior posts. if there is no plugging you may need to replace the water pump. this is a job for bill, it is easy but takes patience on a merc. don't over heat the engine after the engine has run for about five minutes the theromostat should be open and your water flow would be normal "what you are used to seeing". i can't say it enough do not over heat the engine, many problems can arise from over heating. good luck

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
It's called a telltale.
Mine plugged up once with spider eggs. I just disconnected it, ran a wire thru it, then blew it clear with compressed air. No biggie.
I'd bet either the telltale or the intake is plugged. Doesn't sound like the water pump.
Most smaller motors don't have thermostats. If the water coming out is hot rather than lukewarm, then you might have a thermostat.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I cannot speak for all Merc engines, but I can speak for the 115 4 stroke. There is a thermostat in there, but all it does is divert water to the engine, or just direct it to the telltale. The telltale is supposed to always be flowing. That is why it is there. If someone designed a telltale that shut down due to lack of high temperature, how would someone know if there is a clog (bad for engine), or if it is just a normal shutdown?

Check the intake with a flashlight

1 - 13 of 13 Posts