IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Nice Fish!
You catch them here or up river? We fished the hatchery to Rogue Elk Monday for a couple hours and nothing. Every hole had boats anchored on both sides of it with guys casting long leaders at them. Made it tough to fish anywhere. I heard mixed reports from here over the weekend. I might try Gold Hill tomorrow after (instead of :wink: ) work.

RF

·
Registered
630 Posts
Been hitting dam to Shady Cove too with some limited success. Its really frustrating this year the number of boats "lining" fish in the holes. Makes fishing for them really tough 1) they stir the fish up making them not bite right from the rippin, 2) they're anchored in every hole. What happened to the edicate/ethics up there??

Are there more long leader fishers this year or am I just more observant this season??? Seems like they're out in full force early.

If I was a Guide up there I'd have enforcement crack down on it. The "liners" hook alot of fish, then the guides clients are wondering why they arent' we hooking fish too?? Guides know the difference, but the clients typically dont. Bad PR for the guides I'd think.

GP- are you seeing the same below Shady?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Shad Boy, I had not fished the upper river in a couple years, but it seems a lot worse this year than I remember. Every hole had boats anchored up on both sides of the river. It was hard to fish anywhere, thats for sure. IF I go back, I will bring the flyrod. Saw some salmon flies starting to hatch.

RF

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The whole upper river has changed in a paradigmatic way since I first started fishing it in 1972. You can still catch fish up there with bait and Kwik Fish, but the section from the Hatchery to Rogue Elk is probably not the best drift to do it in. I'd suggest exploring a little farther downstream, and obviously if you can get there during the week you'll find less going on. I don't boat that section much anymore. I don't even think that many of the guides fish there much either. I think they've all found less crowded and more productive drifts farther downstream. Hope this helps

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Nice fish GP.

I'm going out to check the smoker right now. See yah!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Thanks for the tip GP. I had not done that float in 5 years and it was more of a reconnaissance mission for salmon flies anyway. I was surprised at how things had changed. I will set my sights a little "lower" next time.

RF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts