IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on this one! I have a Thunder Jet powered by a vortec V8. A good friend is going to purchase a Custom Weld 19' with the Vortec V6. My boat is a 21' and a V6 was not going to be an option for me. Those of you that run this powerplant.........any advice? He will run rivers like the Clackamas and the Santiam Systems as well as Lakes and the Columbia. No Boat brand bashing, just information on these motors please.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
I have never heard of a jet powered boat having too much power. I have heard several folks complain about not having enough power.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have the V6 4.3L in a 20' boat. The only time I wanted more was when I had 6 people in the boat, with one of the people up in the bow. The take off just wasen't right. Called the fellow in the bow to come back, and all was well.

The main advantages on the V6 is better fuel consumption (5mpg), and more fishing space.

If I was to make the choice again... I would stay with the V6, but perhaps fuel injected. Mine is carburated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a 19' Alumaweld with the V6 in it. More than enough power unless I have the boat so full of people it is impossible to fish from.

Two important words though: FUEL INJECTION. Get it, the first engine I had in my boat was carbuerated and would vapor lock upon shut down, vapor lock to the point of the starter being unable to turn the engine over. After going round and round with Stevens and the motor suppier I got a new engine with Fuel Injection. NO PROBLEMS after 70 hours and it fires instantly, even on those cold wet duck hunting mornings! Provides a little more power and slightly better fuel efficeincy.

[ 09-04-2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Gr8waves ]

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've got an 18' Weldcraft w/ the V6 jet, and I agree with Chinook Slayer all the way. It's plenty of power, unless you're foolish enough to fish 5 of your buddies!! Why do that? Then you can't fish!!

Excellent holeshot and economy, plus it's lighter and takes up a little less space. However, if I were getting anything bigger than 20' then I'd have to go V8.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
We have a fleet of over 300 trucks and vans most have the V6 I would say they are very relaiable motors. I have never heard one of our driver say they don't have enough power. On land their a great motor.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do any of you run in "skinny" water? Santiam in late June.....Deshutes, up into Macks Canyon? I have always had more than enough HP to pull me through extremely shallow water or better yet, shooting through the whitewater of the lower Deshutes! I think all Jet powered boats behave different under heavy load conditions. Is the SD-309 the only pump option for the V6? I would like to know the fuel consumption difference between the two if anybody knows. Is the fuel consumption rate worth sacrificing HP?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've got the carb'd 4.3L V6 marinized by Kodiak on a 20' 2003 BoiceJet Response with about 22 hours so far. The dog house is almost half the size of a V8 doghouse so I've got lots of room to fish. This also makes the boat fairly light and extremely manueverable.

It's a workhorse of a motor, tried and true so I think the reliability is gonna be there. I've had up to 7 adults while cruising on a lake with no problems. I've had 4 adults and a full load of fishing gear going upstream on the CR going at 40 mph (gps). My only regret is not getting the fuel injected motor.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I have a 4.3 Vortec V6 in my machine. I have 350 hours on the motor and it runs like a champ. Plenty of power and efficient at the gas pump. I run three to four people in my boat and she hops out of the hole and hauls. I have crossed bars and ran shallow water, no problem. Oh yea, the boat is a 2001 model. 350 hours in 2 1/2 years :shocked:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I also have the Vortec, and like I said, it's smooth.

Just for fun I run the Yakima when I'm bored, and encounter fast water and frequent 4-inch shallows. Not a problem at all!! The nice thing with it being lighter is it planes very quickly like Duckie said.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tacklebuster! You sold me. Mine is a 2000 model year and I am pretty close to 400hrs on it.I run it hard and keep it serviced.I would live in it but cant figure out how to do it yet!Reliabilty is a good selling point. Thanks to all for your help.My dream motor would still be to put the new Dodge Hemi into a jet boat! Think someone could hook up a pump unit to it? I would be first in line to be the test pilot! :shocked:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Originally posted by Duckie:
I've got the carb'd 4.3L V6 marinized by Kodiak on a 20' 2003 BoiceJet Response with about 22 hours so far. The dog house is almost half the size of a V8 doghouse so I've got lots of room to fish.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Hey Duckie, another BoiceJet Lover :cheers: My boat is a 2002 BoiceJet 20' Torrent. BoiceJet does a really good job of fitting the V6 under the dog house. Justin get's them to fit in about the same space as a 240 sportjet. I'm with you, the primary reason why I went with the V6 was for fishing room. What pump did you get? To tell the truth, I always forget what I have. I think it is a Legend, but can't say for sure :shrug:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chinook Slayer......were you at Fall creek Res. on the weekend of 8/23?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Nope. I actually haven't had the boat out since around June. A friend had his boat morred (sp?) at the coast, so I spent a lot of time with him for the ocean coho. I will be out this weekend at Newport.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have the 19 viper with 4.3 just as fast as any other jet boat on the water, it is carbed but has ran flawless for 2 years even when it 30 degress and snowing sideways starts 2 or three cranks every time. and the motor is bombproof, my hyster i use every day has the 4.3, with 8300.00 hours runs prefect, and i abuse it like a red headed stepchild, removed the rev limiter years ago. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts