IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
44,052 Posts
I made a bunch of Whelen brass out of '06 and it was way short. When you neck up, it shortens the neck, neck down it lengthens. When I made the Whelen brass I did it in two steps and annealed the necks after the first step. Used a lot of lube inside the neck. My Whelen dies are Redding. The expander looks like a tapered one to me.

2.494 is trim length which is important when full length resizing as this causes more case growth than sizing to fit the chamber. When cases fit the chamber, I leave the necks a little long, maybe .002 under max. I own one rifle that requires full length sizing to fit the chamber. It's not a factory barrel.

· Registered
6,681 Posts
Thought we were talking 338-06 where 06 casings can be used with no issues per the Nosler manual 👍🏻
The manual also states ..06 brass can be used by using Whelen sizing die with tapered expander ball 2.494 🤔

If a guy was starting fresh start with the 338 win mag ,340 Weatherby and expand to 35 cal ..or be done with it hand go 358 STA .Whelan is ancient ..kinda a Dud ..sooo slow could bounce off .watch for ricochets 😳.

· Registered
14,721 Posts
Since it's an improved case, I think it would be wise to neck up 30-06 cases (Assuming 338-06 hulls are not available) to 35 cal, and then neck down. Gives you a false shoulder to headspace on when fire forming. Longer case life once it's said and done.

Starting with 35 Whelen brass would be great. Might have to neck turn if you start here. But cases that fit the chamber will make better accuracy than sloppy tolerance stuff (Kinda splitting hairs here seeing the cartridge will be used on larger game here. But nerding out on details is part of the fun).

· Registered
44,052 Posts
Flatfish. I started out with .35 and did as you said. Set the sizer a little off the shell holder and a shoulder will form on the neck. Worked great.

Previous post on '06 to Whelen was incorrect. I fire formed (Cream-o-Wheat method) from .338 to .358 then into the sizer.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
Somebody asked about H414 in a .338-06. Mine isn't an Ackley, but my hunting load behind a 225Grain Partition is 59 Grains of H414. Average velocity (26 INCH barrel) is 2685 with the chrono 10 feet from the muzzle. Standard deviation of 11.6 fps.
My most accurate 225 Gr load is 57.5 Gr of H414 at 2643 fps, just about 1 hole at 100. Not much difference in velocity with 1.5 grains more powder, but this load hits 3 inches below the heavier one, which hits exactly where the 200 grain load hits so I go with the heavy to keep it simple.

With a 200Grain Accubond, 60Grains of 414 at an average of 2703 fps and an SD of 13.6 fps.

The rifle is a Ruger action with a Douglas barrel

· Registered
5,132 Posts
I had a 700 classic in 35 Whelen...Used it spring bear hunting a couple times with a stiff load of 250 gr Hornadies. One slow day I launched a few of those 250's across the canyon at a likely looking rock...Hmmm?? Took a few shots with increasingly higher Kentucky windage to come somewhat close.. I quickly lost interest in the Whelen and sold it to someone here on Ifish.. Great round I am sure, but between the two, 338-06 is a lot better fit for spring bear hunting where cross canyon shots are the norm.. :) Just my opinion.. ;)

· Registered
6,681 Posts
A neighbor I had about 5 years ago gave me his leftover ammo when he was moving .Lots of 357 , 44 mag ,,,bird shot etc.Annnnd two boxes of Remington Factory Whelen .He had sold the Guns ,.It was a Remington 700 factory chambered 35 Whelen 😳🤔.Thought all were custom built .

· Registered
4,961 Posts
With the 250 grain bullets, it is pretty slow and not a long range gun. Mine actually likes the 225's better, and using Varget really improved my rifle's performance. It's just a old VZ-24 Mauser with a barrel from Midway I think, I wasn't thinking long range when I had it put together. Dropped it in a Fajen plastic stock, put a fixed Nikon 4 power on it and it was done. Actually put it together for moose, but of course I shot my moose with my .270 :ROFLMAO: . Only thing I've shot with the Whelen was an antelope doe...it was enough gun. If I ever hunt elk again maybe I use it. I waffed between the .35 and the .338-06, if I had to do it over again I would probably go with the .338 due to a better selection of bullets.

CH: Varget is the only powder that gets those velocities (but I haven't checked lately), otherwise 2600 is about tops with the 225 and 2400 to 2500 with the 250 pills. It kicks enough that it's not something I would grab for an afternoon of plinking!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts