IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry for the long response time. Tapatalk updated, then would not connect to the forum so I had to log in on pc and pw change.
Thx for all the helpful responses! Looks like I will have to use A-Square data and work up. I know this is a true wildcat. However; is there a standard trim length for the AI 40° versus the A-Square?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
44,052 Posts
That PacNor will probably give you a few extra fps. Have you checked where the barrel actually wants the bullets seated. The farther out you can seat the bullets (within reason) based on magazine length, the more fps you can gain through increased powder capacity. It won't be a lot but if you like big numbers...... If the throat needs reaming to get this, and you can find a smith to do it for under $40, good deal. If not it's a DIY.

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That PacNor will probably give you a few extra fps. Have you checked where the barrel actually wants the bullets seated. The farther out you can seat the bullets (within reason) based on magazine length, the more fps you can gain through increased powder capacity. It won't be a lot but if you like big numbers...... If the throat needs reaming to get this, and you can find a smith to do it for under $40, good deal. If not it's a DIY.
I have not done MAX COAL measurements yet. I want to make sure brass is not too long first and don't want to sacrafice one with extra trimming if I don't have too.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
44,052 Posts
Load data doesn't mention being coated. I'm probably looking at the same stuff you're looking at. Dunno if you're interested but the website didn't show any 414, if you go to the Winchester page, they may have some 760 listed. Same powder, different label.

· Registered
933 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the huge disparity between 35 whelen and 338-06 data? Nosler shows 200+fps difference in same bullet weight. I get the whole bigger bore equals less pressure but that seems excessive. Just more research and pressure testing put into the 35?

· Registered
4,641 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the huge disparity between 35 whelen and 338-06 data? Nosler shows 200+fps difference in same bullet weight. I get the whole bigger bore equals less pressure but that seems excessive. Just more research and pressure testing put into the 35?
A few more inches of barrel length on the Whelen in the test rifle, PacNor v. a three groove Lilga barrel, and shorter bearing surface on the bullets. Twist rate is less as well, which keeps pressure down with larger powder charges in the .35, for more velocity.

· Registered
44,052 Posts
I stick with Hodgdon data because I was seeing stuff in the Nosler book that I felt couldn't possibly be true with cartridges I had a lot of experience with and it wasn't anywhere close to other published data. Bought a Hornady book a while back hoping they'd updated data with the new powders etc. but it was the same old stuff. Looking at Whelen data from Hodgdon, it isn't modern either, pressure listed isn't new data and kinda lame. Modern data will list current PSI testing, not CUP. Like most all modern cartridges for bolt action and single shot rifles, max pressure should be 63,000 psi. Anything less give the loader some wiggle room when testing. A good way to test an individual barrel against published data requires a chronograph and if listed loads produce nearly identical velocity, you can probably trust the data with that rifle. I don't know the technical side of what affects velocity discrepancies either high or low of published data with an individual barrel. It isn't just one thing. I don't know how much just one thing can affect results, like case capacity, bullet jump in the throat, bore finish, etc..

· Registered
24,188 Posts
Nosler has their own ballistic lab. Their books are based on their test data. I believe the data they publish even though it has no pressure data in the books.

· Registered
1,459 Posts
I typically use nosler data for my baseline but also consult Hornady and hodgedon data. I load many wildcat cartridges so crossing many sources is a must. Like Harvey, I regularly see things in nosler data that I just don’t believe. I say again, start low, use a chronograph, make your own data.

-Scott

21 - 40 of 59 Posts