IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out on the ocean yesterday with my dad ayefsh and his friend Don Brown. We were targeting big nookies but never found any. Don was fishing about 115 feet down, Dad was on the bottom and I was pretty close to the top. I was using a diver, flasher, and a mooching rig with one of my tube flies instead of a hoochy. I had like 30 pulls of line out and about 5 min. later fish on! I got a nice 14 lbs. clipped silver. :cheers: :grin: While I was busy wailin' on the silvers my dad caught a nice 10lbs+ ling. And Don wasn't catching anything. He did catch a couple of silvers down there though. And a little chinook. Seeing as how the silvers were up top I decided to go to 14 pulls and catch those. They were all huge too. When I brought up my stuff we saw about a 7 or 8 foot blue, which then proceeded to bite my hook and take off on a dead run for about a minute before he finally broke off. I had the drag cranked all the way down and it didn't do a thing! That was cool! :grin: After I was catching the heck out of silvers Dad and Don decided to try it shallow because they werent getting much. Later Dad landed a native that was 18lbs.+ It was huge! :shocked: Then we trippled up on 3 fin clipped silvers! :dance: Now it was a matter of telling whose was the biggest. While Dad and Don were trying to figure it out I was playing with mine. Dad had the biggest and we let mine and Don's go. That was fun! So seeing as how we were done salmon fishing we decided to go bottom fishing. Now I'm not sure if this happens to a lot of guys or not but it seemed pretty unusual to me. The 1st fish I hooked good was big. It wasnt fighting really hard until I got closer to the surface. Then we could tell that I hooked a pretty nice chinook. It took about 5 good hard runs from the boat. :dance: When we got it to the boat we weighed it and it weighed at least 32 lbs.!!! By the way it never came in the boat. The only bad thing was that I couldn't keep it. :mad: But I had fun fighting it. Well we had a good time bottom fishing too. It was Don's 1st time bottom fishing in the big blue. He had a good time considering that he caught 3 halibut! :bowdown: And he caught a ton of other assorted rockfish and a few lings too. We ended up limiting out on nice silvers, lings, and we caught 2 yellow eyes, a kelp greenling, and a yellow tail. So all in all that was the best day of my life. It was Lake Pacific out there. Thanks for takin' me along with ya Don!

[ 08-08-2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Fish Slayer ]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts