IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the NOAA web site monitoring the hurricane. :shocked: Not fishable :bowdown:

Yeeha

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
What are you talking about, 13 sec is nothing but long slow rollers. :wink:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Birdsnest have you ever seen a 30ft wave :shocked:

Yeehaa :grin:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ha!! A *real* man would be out there! ... And not be worrying about wearing a
cumbersome life jacket, either!! :grin: :grin:

CHARGE!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

-assAssin-

·
Administrator
119,703 Posts
Time to call out the Black Rocket! :smile:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jennie what a sight that would be :laugh: Seeing the Black rocket catching some serious air time. Wind gusts at Cape lookout are now at 50+ kts with 20ft waves on thier way

YEE :grin: haaaa

Larry

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
And that's nothing compared to "the perfect storm" they had back in the early 80's that the book was written about. I read somewhere that if "the perfect storm" would have hit one week earlier, the whole city of Boston would have been flooded due to the tide differences.

I expect to see Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves out there on surfboards!

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I first joined the CG, the first time I went out to the ocean it was in 30' seas. Never been so sick in my entire life. Turns my stomach upside down just thinking about it. :sick:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
WOW ! first....how big is your boat ? Second why would you want to ?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Killer T Point break is great movie..
Any idea how big the waves were during the perfect storm :shocked:

Yeeha

·
Registered
266 Posts
I experienced a hurricane somewhere in the Atlantic on the USS Enterprise several years ago. You don’t feel the waves that bad on such a huge ship, but it was pretty cool watching the forward flight deck cameras from Central Control. The waves were crashing over the bow like it was a little fishing boat!

I can’t begin to imagine how scary it must have been for people crossing oceans before the age a satellite weather forecast.

·
Registered
733 Posts
yo shipmate rusty,, i served aboard the USS Chicago a guided missle cruiser, we caught the brunt of a typhoon once, it buried the bow in water and shuddered the entire ship as it broke free, the ship would vibrate violently as the screws were exposed then we would roll port and starboard... its more than a adventure.. its no sleep for two days and nights and promising god you wont get drunk in the phillipines if he will keep you alive and afloat.... ok some promises are harder to keep...

·
Registered
266 Posts
LOL!

You would be suprised how many wimps were crying about being sea sick on a carrier. Even in a hurrican we didn't rock that much. I always felt for you guys in the smaller ships.

The funny thing is I used to dream about being free from the Navy and getting off that %$#$% ship, and now I spend all my time dreaming about being on the river and wishing I had a boat worthy of chassing TUNA!

Life is funny.

[ 09-19-2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: rustyl ]

·
Registered
733 Posts
rusty i served from 74 to 75 on the USS Hancock and when they decomissioned that old carrier i was sent to the Chicago. It was a smoother ride on the Hanna, i went on 3 west pac cruises in 4 years and couldnt wait to get out. now i would give anything for one more cruise... its a crazy thing this love of the sea, perhaps i inhaled too much haze gray paint or stack gas, but i miss those days. jocose

1 - 16 of 16 Posts