IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you so much Chris Vertopoulos. On a Mission and I went with Chris on Sat 5-31-03 over in the T-bay area. We had a day.
First, we were trolling and not much happening for the first hour or so, but then all of a sudden all hell broke loose. At exactly the same instant, Chris and I yelled fish on, and I am thinking that I have hooked his fish. He jumps up and says "get under my pole, yours is heading the other way".
So a Chinese fire drill ensues (my appoligies to the Chinese). Some how Dave (OAM) and I get both fish in for Chris to net. About an hour later,
Dave yells "Fish On". And we proceed to get another 20+ pounder into the boat. So the tides change and we go over to Garibaldi.
Put the lines in, and in about 45 mins, my rod goes down hard. Grabbed the pole, and the line just keeps ripping off. I said Chris we have got to go, I'm down to the backing. We all looked up to see about a 400lb Sea Lion surface and do a flip about 300+ yards away. Chris says "Reel fast as you can, I want to get as much line back as possible". It was a good theory, but the sea lion was having nothing to do with it. About 20 minutes later I started to gain enough that we got fairly close, and we broke off the leader.
I'm telling you guys, I could have brought that thing to the boat in another 20 minutes. We were starting to gain. I was tempted but the thought of a Federal Fine and all of that BS caused me to break off the largest thing I have ever hooked. Next item was a starfish, which just kind of topped off one of the best fishing days of my life. Chris is a professional in every manner. I would fish with him anytime, and plan to do so more often. Pics will be here as soon as I can load them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great story!

I have read a bunch of Chris' stuff in The Guides Forecast. He seems to know his stuff.

Tell us some more on the rigging you caught the springers on.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Sounds like you all had a pretty good day... Does a sealion have to be clipped?

K9

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just to let everone know I was holding on to Mike so he wouldn't go over board. About 15 minuets into the Sea lion I was offered the rod to help out, unfourtunately I am a left hander when it comes to the reeling, I opted out.
Chris is an awsome guide if any one wants to catch fish and learn some excellent tips on how to catch when your on your own Chris is the man.
He is just a fine human being.

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Captn, you dog. Great story and congrats on the furbag catch and release.

Is Double Gaynor going to TUNA! town next month? Maybe your son can teach you the finer points of Dahl porpoise taming.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are so set for Saltwater. But nothing happens unless I get the boat over there. Talked with Bait Girl this AM and she was telling me about a 40 lbder (chinook for those who are confused by this time) caught in the Deep Blue on Sunday. I have to get over there. Yes we are aimed and armed for tuna. We will be there for Halibut on the 19th through 21st.

GearUp, I will tell you, if it were my boat and gear, I would gladly share with you all of the details of how we hooked up. But because we were with a guide, and that is how he makes his living, I don't feel like that information is really mine to share. Not that there are any secrets, but it is just a matter of respect. I know that we have guides who post here and are very helpful to all of us, and they will chime in when they feel like sharing information.

My first thought though is to keep doing what you are doing, but pay better attention.

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
No worries, Captn. Your baitgirl's secret 'South Rockpile' spot is out of the bag, this year. All I need to know now is the name of the boat she rides on and we can follow her around. I know I will see her there.

She'll really like that, I'm sure.

I have to disagree with your take on guides. They will share all of what they know on Ifish in about a million years. :grin: :grin: Your mileage may vary.

You paid for the instruction (fishing lesson) and the knowledge is bought and paid for. Therefore you are free to share it with all 200 of your very best friends. :grin: :grin: Maybe sharing waypoints is over the line but I doubt it.

Many, many people use a guide for just that purpose. They pay the money and learn the methods and locations of a fishery so they can do it on their own.

Just a thought .........

A bumper sticker I saw on a guides truck once said ...

**NOTE** Do not be offended if you are a guide, this is all in good fun. I am just kidding with you and it was on a guides truck .....

Please dont tell my Mom that I am a Fishing Guide ... She still thinks I am the piano player at the brothel

[ 06-03-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Pilar ]

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Ouch!!!! That's real...um Mel .. Dude, that's pretty racy.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Who....Me?? :wink: :blush:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thank you, Captn for the kind words. I especially appreciate your stance on sharing info with the whole ifish community. Thank you for the respect. But the fact of the matter is, that I dont have many secrets. Almost everything that I have learned, I learned from someone else who was kind enough to share with me. That is the attitude that I would like to uphold. This does not mean that I'm going to post my favorite egg cure on the web, but I dont mind sharing info with with friends and good people who could use some help catching fish(wheather they paid to sit in my boat or not). After all, isnt that what fishing is all about? So, to whoever it was that inquired, Captn and OnaMission caught their springers on #7 Toman spinners in 5-9ft. of water at the picket fence on T-Bay. Much of the credit to our success that day was that I had two good fisherman in the boat that day that knew how to react in hurry with a double happening. So thanks again Dave and Mike for a eventful day. .... Chris Vertopoulos

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by live to fish:
How much would it cost to mount a sea lion? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">LTF- I dunno what it would cost you- but you better be sure you have a permit first! :whazzup: They got big teeth!
:shocked: :laugh: :dance:

Ya John- but it was worth it! I haven't "caught" one that good in a long time! :shrug:

[ 06-03-2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As I had posted early Chris is a class guy. The spinners may have been good but the most important thing I took away from the day is the same message David Johnson has told me when I fish with him. WASH YOU HANDS-THEY SMELL.

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Chris, you give the profession 'fishing guide' a good name! That is the side of fishing guide that I like to see.

The guy who helps his clients get into fish is pretty common. The guy who takes on the task of teaching his clients something about fishing and loves doing it is a little harder to find. It's pretty obvious which one you are.

Thank you sir.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts