IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting article about removing dams to restore Atlantic Salmon.

The removal of the dams on the Penobscot River is estimated to increase the salmon 10 fold. Of course, the Atlantic Salmon are in much worse shape than the Pacific Salmon (a lesson for us) and this means going from 1,000 to 10,000 salmon but it shows we can remove the dams and we can get the salmon back.

Agreement in Maine Will Remove Dams for Salmon's Sake

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
On the river's they've had dam removal on, they've had very quick results. I wish they'd do it here.

happybrew

·
Registered
170 Posts
Powerdale Dam (Hood River) and Condit Dam (White Salmon River) both are allegedly going to get removed someday... I've heard that they will restore the river (i.e. shoreline, flow, etc.) to it's "natural" state as part of the removal project.

Question: How do the engineers go about deconstructing a dam? Dynamite doesn't sound like an option, as that would leave 1000s of tons of cement and rebar. At the same time, it's not like it's built with bricks (which could be removed a few at a time)... Anyone know how they go about doing this? (Seriously)

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
I've never seen it done on anything bigger than a creek, but I assume they divert/pipe the river around the dam site, then drive equipment in and take it down. I don't know exactly how that would work on a river like the columbia, but I think that's how they built the dams in the first place. Anyone know better?

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
A true "win-win" for everyone concerned!

This is great news!

·
Registered
17,227 Posts
Don't forget the Marmot dam on the Sandy. It's a done deal, it's going, and the Sandy will be better off or it.

On a trip to the Olympic Penninsula this summer, I made a special effort to see the lower Elwa dam and take some 'before removal' pictures. It's coming out in 2007. I look forward to taking the 'after' pics.

No time like the present to correct past mistakes.

3,877 Posts
Great news & great topic

Can you imagin how great fishing would have been in these last 3 years if we had 3 or so less dams on the Columbia
? It has been unprecidented these last 3 years witth dams, just think about that.

I think we would witnessing what many of senior Ifishers refer to as the good ole days.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Garyk,

On a trip to the Olympic Penninsula this summer, I made a special effort to see the lower Elwa dam and take some 'before removal' pictures.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The article mentions Condit Dam on the Salmon River in Washington as coming out in 2006.

Sounds like a lot of progress is being made.

My guess is that, depending on the dam, Bonneville for example, they would redo it so there is a measure of flood control capability and power generation capability. If during the high water seasons, half the water ran free and half powered turbines, we'd still get a good kick of hydropower to complement the solar, wind power replacements.

If I remember the RAND study on the Snake River dams, total removal would only impact 5% of the hydro generation of the BPA.

Redoing the entire Columbia would be one of the greatest engineering projects of the 21 century.

The Penobscot dam in the picture looks a lot like the dam setup at Oregon City.

Brion

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
not to get back on this issue, but you guys that think the columbia or snake river dams are coming out anytime soon or ever are dreaming. I`d rather fantasize about other things :wink: :tongue:

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
:hoboy: :hoboy:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Progress is being made on the removal of Savage Rapids Dam on the Rogue. It is not to be used for irrigation after 2006. We are hoping for removal within a year of that time.

In fact, there is a Senate hearing concerning the funding for this project on Oct. 14th.

It is not too late to write your letter of support to you Senator!!

Lest some confuse this dam with the Columbia/Snake system dams, Savage Rapids offers zero flood control (in fact, makes flooding worse immediately upstream) and no commercial power what so ever. It is an 82 year old structure that was engineered with raising the water level for gravity fed irritgation in mind, not fish passage.

Considered the number one fish killing obstacle of the entire Rogue system, computer modeling has demonstrated that we could increase our Rogue fish numbers by up to 20% by removing this old, unneeded, community liability.

Do what you can do, write your Senators and Congresmen today and ask their support of the removal of Savage Rapids Dam on the Rogue River!

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
SD....

TR

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dampainter,

not to get back on this issue, but you guys that think the columbia or snake river dams are coming out anytime soon or ever are dreaming.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I'm sure folks said this about the 3 Penobscot dams, the Sandy dam, the Salmon River dam, the Hood River dam and yet...here we are a few years later with real progress in dam removal.

Steady pressure, good economics, good science, technological progress and it does work.

Brion

·
Registered
862 Posts
You can create the most modern, technological, hi-tech fish passage/ladder system in the world, but the simple fact remains that natural spawning habitat being restored would have a much larger impact. It's hard for fish to spawn in who knows how may feet of silt that lays below those reservoirs. Hmm, is it just coincidence that the Hanford area of the Columbia holds the largest population of naturally reproducing salmon on the mainstem and it's also the longest stretch of free-flowing river in the system? I think not. Enough said.

Steelie28

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Why stop with the dams. We can remove the human population, their homes, vehicles, boats, businesses, roads, channels, sewage plants, water plants, garbage in the dumps and return the forests and restore the rivers. The salmon would like that.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Originally posted by Steelie28:
Hmm, is it just coincidence that the Hanford area of the Columbia holds the largest population of naturally reproducing salmon on the mainstem and it's also the longest stretch of free-flowing river in the system? I think not. Enough said.

Steelie28
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Hmm, is it just coincidence that we have the most reliable and least-costly power system in the world here in the NorthWest? I think not.

Just throwing out for the sake of arguement, I'm sure that there's plenty of you who are ready to double your power bills, chase off a few more power-hungry industries (Intel?) and maybe even fire up Trojan and Hanford for some more power.

We've beaten this horse before. Savage Rapids, Elwha, Powerdale, and most of the others accomplish very little in the big picture, and it makes complete sense to get rid of them, financially and environmentally. Sure, Snake dams supply 5% of the power, fine, let's stop all growth here in the NW, and make sure our power requirements quit increasing.

My. 02

TR

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too would like to see the runs return to the days of the indians but don't know if I am prepared to suffer the concequences. I think less dams is good but power producing dams give us the life as we know it now. we in the northwest are spoiled with the cheapest energy costs in the nation. what would happen if they dis assembled bonneville. would they reopen the woops reactors and the one at deer island. or would we just go with coal fired plants like they do on the east coast or do we just turn off the power and go back to oil lamps and a much simpler life. These are answers we will have to come up with in the near future or the legacy we will leave our children. or do we find a better way to propogate the salmon runs our choice!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
You know what the big picture is made of? Lots of little pictures.

Yeah, those Snake dams are keeping power costs down.....since they produce 10% or less of the region's power. A 20% increase in my power bill wouldn't be worth spazzing over, especially if the fish-related benefits are realized.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Goldsborough creek in Shelton, WA responds to its dam being removed.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts