IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Mohip's story, I thought I'd share one. I was anchored below the Trojan hole, with my new fishing partner (wife) on one of her first trips on the CR. Sturgeon was the game of the day but also enjoying a beautiful spring day. I am fully aware the big boy's have the right of way and have total respect of that, so had achored as usual out of the main channel. We could see a least two hoglines well upriver. At least 3 ships had gone by in both directions with lots of room to spare. Way up river we heard the blast to make way. This was well above the furthest hogline that extended well out into the channel. Even though we had our backs to the oncoming traffic, we routinely check to be safe. The wife was nervous and I kept assuring her we were safe, after all we are closer to shore than most every boat we could see above us and other ships had cleared with 100 yds to spare. I assured her the ship would turn with the channel, and no warning horns, so safe, right? Well, almost to late it became evident this freighter was coming thru. I gave the order to reel in FAST. Lines in, rods thrown on the deck, jump to bow and throw anchor rope off the side, engines starts with first turn, turn wheel, hit the throttle and look back to see our float center punched. All without a single blast except for the one over 1/2 mile up river. The wife still is my fishing partner and usually out fishes me. But you won't find us on the outer end of the hogline, so alwys leave a slot for "My Time" ok? We've speculated lot on this one, but know it's better not to assume a ship stays in the channel. And so explains the handle.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Freighter Bait- I had the same thing happen on the WA side of sand island (the one across from St Helens). I was less than 20 feet off the end of a wing dam. Difference was no horns at all, radar wasn't turning and no lookout that I could see. The channel is full width there bout a mile wide almost to the beach on the island.
If my wife hadn't been subathing on the bow I would NEVER have seen him coming. I had to start the boat and run up and inside the wing dam with the anchor down and poles out. The side of the ship was within 5 feet of the end of the wing dam when he went by. I was about 20 feet off him.

Kept wondering what was going to happen if my anchor line got caught in his prop! :shocked:
I'm still sure he was using me for target practice! :shrug:

[ 04-11-2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.