IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Whats fuel economy in a boat? Cruise can be somewhere in 5 to 10 gallons of fuel an hour.
Maybe something around 1.5 to 2.5 miles to a gallon. Example from others with this set up are-

10 gallons used going 62 miles say 3800rpms would hit you around(6.2 gallons an hour.) Not bad for this size of boat.

Then you have load, changes everything, Current-wind-Swells-over weight buddies-tackle -ice- etc. If you can afford it , think Diesel, better fuel consumption with same speed approximatley, farther distance with less fuel used.

Enjoy the boat,hope to see ya out there!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the results from my 26' Striper.
It runs about 12gph @3300 RPM. Read the specs on the striper
web site the performance is very close. I ran hard Friday
out of Depoe Bay a good 60-70 miles out and trolled all day
at 7-8knots and burned 101 gallons. I think you will be
happy with your choice. Everyone who has been out on the
Triple C has enjoyed their time.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
That is the drive and boat I have.

SS duals, EFI vortec 5.7, 26 WA.

My experience is if I go 40 miles off shore...its 40 gallons at the station. Tuna town and a days trolling is 65-70 gallons.

This year I am not running with the 160 gallon tank full all the time.....I am sure the mileage is improved the 1200# of fuel cut back to 400 pounds or so.

The hull is great with the long flat planning surface extending forward more, and it comes up even and not stern heavy. but when the trim tabs and the outdrive gets just right you can cruise at 28 to 30 at 3400 rpms.

We came back a couple of years ago with 70 tuna, a 300 pound insolated box I built, and ice and 4 poeple and it rode real good and averaged about 30 at 4000rpms.

The troll is a little faster than I like with downriggers but seems to catch fish.

I have some suggestion for Seaswirl as to hinges, lid strengths on hatch covers, and location of some elecrical switches, the starter is a pain to get at, and so on.

Overall....I think it is a good package...but with the pains as every other boat.

The double foam filled hull.....is real nice....and it takes water over the bow real well, I had it on its side twice and recovers good....(it was a day with 6 or 7 foot nw swells and 35 kt south wind chop (4 ft sheep) on that.)
We would come down the swell and bury the bow and get nailed from the side.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Sounds like the fuel economy is a little better than the 14-15 gph that I am getting now. Fuel dock was closed saturday but my floscan said I burned 95 gallons. I never got more than 48 miles from the jetties.

Dan

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
It is very hard to come up with a good flow rate.. 601 here but with an outboard. We did 64 miles one way and some trolling and back. It ended up being right around 100 gallons. I push as hard as conditions allow! If it aint pounding you once in a while then I will speed up. The fuel flow meter will show as high as 15 gph. As wak says I have some suggestions also for Striper but I still love the boat!

Wak how much fuel you planning on carrying? Man it would not be fun having only 10 more miles to go to be in the hot bite but have to turn back because of fuel. Ask Odin!!!! He had to last year! I know thats a lot of weight there but for many reasons I go out full!

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
I hear ya Tracker... I will always have plenty of fuel...... I just know that 160 gallons equals about 450 miles range, I don't see that as to nessesary.

I still remember the days with the gas cans lashed to the side... :bricks:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
160 G is not 450 mi range, prudence , our weather and bars require MUCH more than the 10% reserve you read about in magazines. Here is the math I would do, 160 - 1/3 = 107, so at 2 mpg w ZIP troll time, you are at 214 range. Subtract Tuna trolling time at X gph and you are clearly below 200.

My $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it :smile: Good luck & be safe

JD

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the results from my 26' Striper.
It runs about 12gph @3300 RPM. Read the specs on the striper
web site the performance is very close. I ran hard Friday
out of Depoe Bay a good 60-70 miles out and trolled all day
at 7-8knots and burned 101 gallons. I think you will be
happy with your choice. Everyone who has been out on the
Triple C has enjoyed their time.
:yeahthat: I couldn't have said it better. That is nearly the exact same fuel economy (if you can call it that) that I get with my 2601 Striper with the same engine/outdrive that you mentioned. I'm happy so far.

G-Dubb

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
For what its worth... we have made several trip, that the trip meter said was 180 miles, and never have we returned with less than half a tank.

do the math...180 plus 180...equals 360 and gas still in the tank.

As I said weather conditions will be the deciding factor.

PS. In the 40 years of living and running boats out of Newport, we have never ran out of gas, thanks for the concern. We have broke everything else though.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Wak: Peace :smile: may you get another 40 years :smile:

back on topic, you are then getting better than 4.5 MPG Trip, pretty impressive :smile:

JD

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
When running I guess it to be about 2.5, on a good ocean.

When trolling, or even running at 1800 rpms for tuna it is very good mileage.

When we went on a 180...gps logged miles...we would top off the tank and consistantly use 60 to 65 gallons.
Which puts us back into the 3 miles per gallon...and 450 max limit...with a general use day.

My son last Sat...burnt about 100 gallons.....I question his fine tunning, and it was a slop day.

I know 100% at trimming is the saving grace....outdrive down at 3400 rpms is 22 to 24 miles per hour....trimmed up you pick up 8 to 10 more....with the same gas consumption.

I have never used over a half of a tank...(80), and last year we were out 70 miles one day, and fished all day.

I wish I had a sail, with these gas prices.

·
Registered
ocean trolling, ocean bottom fishing Lings and halibut, river drift, hike, spin cast and fly fish.
15 Posts
I know I am posting to a 12 year old thread! but my experience this summer has been pretty good with the diesel 2601. I started the summer with a completely empty tank, I know because when coming off plane near the gas dock I started sputtering.

Filled it up with 155g, then subsequently put in 40, 105, and 135 this summer, total of 435 gallons purchased. Right now there is 3/4 tank left, roughly 120 gallons. So in total I burnt about 315 gallons. The hour meter logged 42 hours total. That equates to 7.5gph overall. I ran from Jantzen to Cathlamet and back 2x, ran from Cathlamet to CR bar 1x, Cathlamet area for a few days, and also ran from Jantzen up to rooster rock and back a couple times. Total on plane hours were about 28, and about 14 hours trolling, and a bunch of days on anchor. I run at 3200rpm and 22-24 on the speedometer.

My estimate is I am getting about 10gph at 3200rpm, and about 1-2gph at minimum throttle. Pretty decent I think, a hell of a lot better than running twin 150's or 200's on the back.

With that and a 160 gallon tank, I think the realistic and safe range is about 275 miles in neutral currents and Puget Sound or CR or inside passage seas. I highly doubt you can get 400 miles out of the boat at 3200 rpm. 10gph on a 160 gallon tank = 384 miles at high end of my operating speed which was probably with current in the river, calm days.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know I am posting to a 12 year old thread! but my experience this summer has been pretty good with the diesel 2601. I started the summer with a completely empty tank, I know because when coming off plane near the gas dock I started sputtering.

Filled it up with 155g, then subsequently put in 40, 105, and 135 this summer, total of 435 gallons purchased. Right now there is 3/4 tank left, roughly 120 gallons. So in total I burnt about 315 gallons. The hour meter logged 42 hours total. That equates to 7.5gph overall. I ran from Jantzen to Cathlamet and back 2x, ran from Cathlamet to CR bar 1x, Cathlamet area for a few days, and also ran from Jantzen up to rooster rock and back a couple times. Total on plane hours were about 28, and about 14 hours trolling, and a bunch of days on anchor. I run at 3200rpm and 22-24 on the speedometer.

My estimate is I am getting about 10gph at 3200rpm, and about 1-2gph at minimum throttle. Pretty decent I think, a hell of a lot better than running twin 150's or 200's on the back.

With that and a 160 gallon tank, I think the realistic and safe range is about 275 miles in neutral currents and Puget Sound or CR or inside passage seas. I highly doubt you can get 400 miles out of the boat at 3200 rpm. 10gph on a 160 gallon tank = 384 miles at high end of my operating speed which was probably with current in the river, calm days.
OK, now you're making me jealous all over again. Nothing beats a diesel for fuel economy.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Nice work keeping track of things I do the math a little bit differently I put 80 pounds of prawn tails in the freezer this year 180 pounds of halibut over a dozen halibut trips over a dozen days prawning at or around a dozen days tuna fishing.Caught and gave away roughly 1000 Dungeons crab.Plus a few days worth of salmon a few days worth of bottom fish. All catch and expenses are split equally amongst captain and crew so roughly 3 to 4 times that total for the boat and crew. How much fuel I burned no clue roughly 300 hours on motor up to 55 miles offshore tunafishing never burn more than 60 gallons in the day amount of fuel means nothing as the amount of food is almost in calculable. Good times definitely in calculable.Hope everyone had a good summer and fun season

·
Registered
1 Posts

OK, now you're making me jealous all over again. Nothing beats a diesel for fuel economy.
what model and size of Diesel engine on the boat?

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
I don't remember GPH burn rate on my 2601 except I averaged 26 to 30 gallons on Salmon runs out of Chinook to fish off Long Beach. I ran it hard as those 2601 eat chop better than most glass boats. But I just got tired on working on the motor and wife was not happy with the layout on cold days. Mind you this is my personal opinion; I would never own a I/O again. You're better off with twin OBs on this boat even if they might burn a few more gallons, maybe not. However, the 2601 Striper is a lot of boat for the money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts